Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Will I ever be able to wean off estrogen?  (Read 2816 times)

thecat1227

Will I ever be able to wean off estrogen?
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:41:25 AM »

I have been on HRT (Evorel Sequi) for the past three years. It has made an incredible difference when it comes to my physical and mental well-being.

However, recently, I decided to go off it as I have read that it's not good to be on HRT for more than three or possibly five years (depending on source), and that it increases the risk of breast cancer and blood clots among other things. So I decided to use an OTC progesterone cream for ten days a month instead.

Within four weeks, not only were my hot flushes back with a vengeance, particularly bothersome at night (I could wake up ten times a night drenched in sweat and wake up completely exhausted in the morning). But I also started gaining weight at an alarming speed (almost +10 kilograms in a month which I'd thought was physically impossible). I have always read that estrogen makes you store fat, whereas progesterone has the opposite effect, but going off estrogen seems to have made me gain weight...I might add that I don't eat more and exercise regularly the way I always have, so I cannot see any other explanation as to why I started gaining weight as soon as I went off estrogen.

What I am wondering is: will I ever be able to wean off estrogen??? I will turn 50 in three months and have been bothered by those symptoms for the past three years. The hot flushes bother me the most. Not only do they make it impossible to get a good night's sleep, but I can also start sweating anytime, anywhere...when having lunch with colleagues for instance, all of a sudden, sweat can start dripping down my face...as long as I use estrogen, I can keep the hot flushes and excessive sweating under control, but it seems I cannot do without it...in the past, I have also tried black cohosh without much effect.

My periods are still regular. During the month I went off estrogen, I also noticed they became much heavier.

All thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome.

Dotty

Re: Will I ever be able to wean off estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »

There is no time limit for taking hrt . New studies have shown that you can take it for as long as you need it. X

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:32:15 AM »

I have been on it 6 years and I did worry but recent studies, as Dotty points out, show that long term usage seems to have very little negative consequences.  A low dose is no worse than a a daily glass of wine.

SueLW

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »

Hi

No need to come off, especially at your age.

I'm not sure if this site will let me link to the Menopause Doctor web site, but if the link does't work, it's menopause doctor (all one word) .co.uk.  Go to the Menopause Information section and you will find lots of articles to read one specifically related to your question.  In fact that web site has a lot of really good information on it for women. 

Here goes with the link just in case it works:  https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/breast-cancer-hrt

thecat1227

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »

Thanks so much to all of you, that's very helpful - and encouraging - info indeed! :) Right now,  I cannot imagine ever going off HRT...I find the patches very convenient as they only need to be changed every three days (compared to creams to be applied daily). Pills would be perhaps even more convenient, but it seems transdermal estradiol is better for the body and spares the liver. If I am going to be on this long-term, that's also important to consider.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »

To be fair to dr Newson a side effect to hrt could be itching or sore breasts, symptoms of menopause are flushes etc so they won't go away until your body decides, but side effects of a replacement/drug should go away

I've been on hrt for 20 years and don't intend to stop unless my health deteriorates x

thecat1227

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »

Thanks again to everyone who replied, much appreciated your info and shared experiences :)

Just thinking about the way I felt during that single month I did not use estrogen (estradiol) makes me sick...I never, ever want to feel that way again...!!! I just cannot stand the constant sweating, especially the hot flushes keeping me awake at night, keeping me from getting a whole night's sleep...I think I could stand the increased irritability and nervousness, but the hot flushes and sweating are too much for me to deal with...as long as I have to deal with them, I simply have no life. That is how I feel, to put it bluntly. That goes away within 48 hours after going back on estradiol, so I guess that is what I need for now...and may need for a very long time, maybe even forever...but so be it.

Just out of curiosity: has anyone else noticed weight gain when going off estradiol? I have always believed (after reading it over and over again) that estrogen is a fat-storing hormone, but it seems to keep me weight-stable...as soon as I go off it, I started gaining weight, even though I'm on progesterone which is said to help you lose weight...?!

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

The progesterone in the patches are a lot stronger than 10 days a month of USP cream, so you seem to need both to be high at the moment. It's possibly a stronger imbalance that is causing your symptoms when you've come off the patches rather than one hormone causing issues.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »

Hi,
I have quite strong views on the ‘risks' in life. Frankly, my view is that you have a life to live now. Sounds like going back on would change your life right now.
Balancing risks is such a ‘modern' anxiety.  It is literally plastered over the news every day, with some new study or another claiming miracles.
The best anecdote to this was a comment by my then 95 yr old, smoking, etc grandmother
“Did i know smoking prevented dementia... really nan, well yes they are all usually dead before they get that old!! “
Okay, my view is that i may well get some hideous stuff a few years down the line, but i equally might get run over tomorrow.  None of us live forever and i feel better to have a good time while here.
Best wishes

thecat1227

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:19:14 PM »

I can only agree with what you said...why worry about future potential risks if my life here and now is so miserable I don't even consider it a life...because that is how I feel off HRT right now?!

I am so grateful HRT exists...it would be wonderful if supplements such as black cohosh worked for me, as they seem to do for many women, but they simply do not seem potent enough for me...

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »

I know for sure what I'd be doing in your situation thecat.
Anxiety-as i know (too well) will cloud your thinking, you know what will fix that too.
As with most things there will never be a definitive answer... meanwhile you suffer.
I know a lady at work who is 75! Who has been on the old hrt for nearly 30 years.....and has told her gp, like i did when asked “ how long do you intend on taking this” . We both gave the same answer
“The rest of my life , of course” lol

AndieKC

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »

Thecat1227

Hi,
I had the same hot flushes, night sweats keeping me awake, menopause was very sudden, and hrt worked like magic. Also put on a stone and half, not by eating more, if anything I cut out sugar, ate less etc. But the stress of not sleeping, especially not getting enough deep sleep, means body is flooded by stress hormones (cortisol etc) and this stops the body burning fat. Once my hormones were stabilised with hrt and I slept well, normal rules of weight loss applied again, and I started losing weight. Also have more energy now, so I do some weights, press ups, gardening, and my muscle tone is coming back too. I intend to stay on hrt as long as I can xx