Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: EVOREL SEQUI PATCHES - HOW LONG CAN YOU TAKE HRT?  (Read 6868 times)

meenaruss

EVOREL SEQUI PATCHES - HOW LONG CAN YOU TAKE HRT?
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »

Hi
  I am 57, fit and healthy and young for my age and have been on the evorel sequi for 2 years (having not fully gone through the menopause).  My symptoms were aching joints, anxiety and lack of sleep due to hot flushes at night.  The patches have sorted my symptoms out completely and the only side effect is acid reflux which has only just started.  My GP informed me this week that he no longer wishes me to have HRT due to brexit (!) and the fact that it is now dangerous as I am over 55.  When I asked him what I would do about my symptoms he advised me that I could have betablockers and antidepressants and that the painful joints were part of old age!!! :'(

Any advice please would be much appreciated.

Katejo

Re: EVOREL SEQUI PATCHES - HOW LONG CAN YOU TAKE HRT?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

Hi
  I am 57, fit and healthy and young for my age and have been on the evorel sequi for 2 years (having not fully gone through the menopause).  My symptoms were aching joints, anxiety and lack of sleep due to hot flushes at night.  The patches have sorted my symptoms out completely and the only side effect is acid reflux which has only just started.  My GP informed me this week that he no longer wishes me to have HRT due to brexit (!) and the fact that it is now dangerous as I am over 55.  When I asked him what I would do about my symptoms he advised me that I could have betablockers and antidepressants and that the painful joints were part of old age!!! :'(

Have a look at this book on Amazon. I highly recommend it. The author argues that it is beneficial and safe to continue HRT provided that you start taking it before 60 (or within 10 years of periods stopping). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oestrogen-Matters-Hormones-Menopause-Well-Being/dp/0349421773/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PRSIOEYW7DGG&keywords=oestrogen+matters&qid=1560275852&s=books&sprefix=oestrogen%2Caps%2C123&sr=1-1
I have started it at 56 (partly to avoid osteoporosis/risk of hip fractures later but also to relieve aching joints/muscles and VA).   Did he explain his Brexit argument? To do with expected shortages?

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:30:33 PM »

Hi

My advice is to ask your GP to back up this wild assertion that it is dangerous to use HRT over the age of 55. Current thinking is that you stay on it for as long as you like, there is NO upper age limit. If you are not satisfied with his explanation (and I can assure you it will be based on the old, discredited WHI studies) then get a referral to a menopause clinic. These people should consider the many health benefits of hormone replacement, and the dangers of NOT prescribing it.

The Brexit statement is beneath contempt.

I am 69 and an HRT user and woe betide any of them who try to take me off it again. One of them succeeded when I was 54 and it was downhill all the way for me. If you are happy on it, stand firm.

JP xx

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »

I agree with JP.
Your Dr is talking out of HIS bottom. Change GP. Get a lady of a certain age !!

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »

Have a look at this link from the British Menopause Society - point 5 is the one you'll be interested in.  You can print it out & take to your GP.  I agree with Katejo - Avrum Bluming's book is well worth a read.

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/hormone-replacement-therapy/

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »

Hi meenarus

:welcomemm:

For goodness sake - as pants says your doc is talking utter *****. This doc should not be practising. Heaven help all the menopausal women he sees.

I wouldn't even bother to ask him for an explanation but read the link Wrensong gave you - if he hasn't done any research at all - this summary from BMS should be all he needs and it is your absolute right to continue to have HRT if you personally have no specific medical contra-indication to HRT. If your repeat has been refused and you are running out, either go back to him or go to another doc in the practice ( can you find out which one  has up to date knowledge ( and no prejusidce against) HRT and the menopause? You should at least be able to see online which one has the basic gynae qualification (although that's not a guarantee of anything!). Failing that have an e-mail consultation with Dr Currie ( costs £30) to print out and take to him - but he should not need that.

As for Brexit - words fail me!  >:(

Like Joaniepat I am mid 60's and have been taking HRT for 12 + years.

Good luck - don't take no for an answer and please report back!

Hurdity x

Lin

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 09:51:45 AM »

Apologies but I had to put a note on here incase anyone reads this. 'Sore Joints ', at age 57 is NOT part of the aging process. Rubish 57 is still young and your jounts should not be aching at this age..