Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT and period cramps  (Read 1580 times)

Runanddance

HRT and period cramps
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »

Hi I started HRT 11days ago (kilogest conti to protect against osteoporosis due to ovarian failure before 40).
The first 2 days were fine. Then day 3 I was floored with horrific PMT and enough fluid retention that I didn't fit my work trousers  :-\.
Then 3 days ago I started getting cramps (low down and in my back-like period!!). They have been building day by day. So bad that today I had to leave work an hour early. Ponston is not even helping. I've also a massive headache. No bleed yet but something must be coming.
Is this to be expected? Do I just stick it out?

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT and period cramps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm
I'm afraid cramps can be common with hrt, particularly Conti HRT. Your body is adjusting to the hormones and this can take time, especially with conti hrt.
Keep going if you can as things may settle.

It is often wiser to start on a sequential HRT regime, so perhaps try this if things don't improve or become too tough - Femoston 1/10 is a good one to try.  It will mean putting up with a monthly bleed but many women stick with a sequi hrt as it can mean fewer side effects.
The other option would be to have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen separately as pills, patch or gel.
Keep posting DG x

ali 61

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »

Hello. I started on Evorel Conti patches just 3 weeks ago.
After 6 days I too started with awful cramps. It was just so painful.
I ended up phoning my GP, who suggested I cut the patches in 1/2 for a while, to let my body get used to them.
That stopped the cramps after just 1 day.
I'm speaking to him tomorrow, so I shall ask him how long to stay on 1/2 a patch before increasing.

So I think, yes, its normal to feel side effects whilst your body adjusts.
I'm going to persevere for at least 3 months, as that seems to be the general advice.
Good luck and I hope things settle for you too.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:46:48 PM by ali 61 »

Runanddance

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »

Thanks ladies.
I started on femeston first but completely fell apart at the seams on them very quickly so was told to stop after 5 days :(.
TBH up till now I've loved been post menopausal once I got over the initial shock. I'm about to turn 43 and am post meno a year and a half and never felt better in my whole life than I did within that period of time. I always had horrific painful periods and PMT and to wave that rollercoaster goodbye felt AMAZING.
However there is a strong history of osteoporosis and heart disease in my family so understand why gynae wants me on it. But still I'm not sure it's worth it. I can just about keep a small bit of food down this evening. To go from amazing to miserable is not a great feeling.
I apologise for the poor me post.
(Also am I likely to get a withdrawal bleed or just cramps?)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »

It is normal to get some bleeding in the first few weeks or months with any conti hrt but I suspect the cramps are your body reacting to the progesterone.
Perhaps try halving the patches and see how it goes. DG x