Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Test results - sex hormone binding globulin  (Read 1595 times)

becca

Test results - sex hormone binding globulin
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »

Hi all,
Just off to the meno clinic this afternoon and finally got the late results of sex hormone binding globulin test this am - my levels are way above normal range.  So I know this means I may not have enough free testosterone available to me, but it got me researching and wondering about other things that blood tests might help reveal e.g thyroid issues, absorption of progesterone.  My GP and clinic refuse to test progesterone levels but I wondered if any of you have a list of blood tests that we should be having regularly?  For things like Thyroid is it just a standard test or is there a specific test that shows whether or not there is enough hormone available to your body?  Should we test T4 and T3 levels?  Does anyone else get progesterone levels checked as well as oestro and testo?
Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find the answers on a search of this site..
Becca xxx

Hurdity

Re: Test results - sex hormone binding globulin
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »

Hi becca

Please can you post your actual results. On its own SHBG will not tell you how much free testosterone is available although the normal range I gather is 18-144 nmol/l (not sure whether this is male or female as the sheet doesn't say). I presume Total T has also been measured? The range for women is 0.5 - 3 nmol/l. Some HRT increases SHBG (oral forms).

You need to calculate the Free Androgen index (maybe this has been done for you?) which is Total Testosterone divided by SHBG express as a percentage =- as long as they are measured in the same units.

Range for FAI is 0.5 - 6.5 %. (Chelsea and Westminster clinic give the range as 1-6). I got this info from the RCOG website here:

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/careers-and-training/mrcog-exam/mrcog-normal-ranges.pdf

As for other tests - unless you need to know if you are still ovulating, and sepcifically for those who have fertility problems and are worrying about having sufficient progesterone - you do not need to have progesterome measured. If you are post-menopausal it will be low, as also in the first phase (follicular phase) of the normal menstrual cycle.  After ovulation it rises.

Are you taking testosterone or other forms of HRT?

Thyroid is important but unless you present with specific (or some non-specific symptoms) this won't be requested. Usually only TSH is measured which is not conclusive as T4 needs to be measured and for those with conversion problem to T3 this too - although rarely done on NHS. Thyroid function is one of the most badly diagnosed/treated conditions on NHS. If underactive thyroid function is a problem you would be having fatigue, weight gain and feeling cold amongst the primary symptoms, with hair loss, constipation and dry skin also featuring! These symptoms also have other causes.

Hope this helps and good luck with your appointment.

Hurdity x

becca

Re: Test results - sex hormone binding globulin
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »

Thanks Hurdity - appreciate all the info :-)  They said testo ratio was ok and have upped oestro to 6 pumps per day so will see how that goes