Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem for nocturnal frequency?  (Read 2617 times)

vintagefiend

Vagifem for nocturnal frequency?
« on: September 12, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »

Hello,
I have pronounced nocturnal frequency - many, many visits to the loo!!-and it's just occurred to me that it might be symptomatic of low oestrogen- no period for nearly 5 months
recently a lady on here told me about vagimfem for VA but i'm wondering whether that might address this urinary issue?
i'm 46 - cannot tolerate any kind of HRT due to mood issues but hoping that it wouldn't be particularly systemic- tho at same time how on earth does it remain localised? surely it would enter bloodstream?
can you have vagifem without progestogens?
thanks in advance, lovely ladies  :)

Hurdity

Re: Vagifem for nocturnal frequency?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »

You don't need progestogens with vagifem as most of it stays localised. A very tiny amount is absorbed systemically but even when women are post-menopausal, trials show that the amount (systemic levels) remains within the post-menopausal range. With the higher dose of 25 mcg during the initial 2 week loading period ( daily use), trials showed that levels went above the post-meno range in the first two weeks, but once the vaginal tissues were plumped up (through the local oestrogen) systemic absorption was reduced and concentrations fell to within post-meno range. The actual dosage in the Vagifem tablet is very very small ie 10 mcg per tablet in total. Do you have other symptoms such as dryness or itching?

As always any untoward bleeding should always be investigated but if you are not yet at menopause you may well continue to get the odd period.

Yes Vagifem should help with unrinary issues as well although sometimes it can actually increase frequency on the day of use (it does with me) - while still improving the health of that whole are of the body.

Hurdity x

vintagefiend

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

brilliant! thank you, hurdity- cross my fingers it works as my nights are ridiculous!!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

How are your days frequency-wise?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »

If you withdraw liquids in the evenings the kidneys may well work harder = up more in the night!

Try the 'vagifem' to see if it eases symptoms, i.e. 3-4 months as prescribed?

vintagefiend

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

thanks TAZ and CKLD
i must admit- my days are not so bad so i realise that that might undermine my theory that it's low oestrogen!
i don't deliberately cut back on drinks in the evening so hopefully not making kidneys work too hard- mind you, it takes me so long to fall asleep that i guess i do have a long period of time without a drink!!
anyway- gonna try it- haven't got it prescribed yet but have v amenable GP so i know i'll get it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »

AH - maybe because you R awake you cross the landing more often?  That's my problem if I have a broken night  ::)

vintagefiend

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »

Yes I do have a lot of awake time to fill at night so guess inevitable that I'll be visiting loo a bit more!!
On balance tho I do feel that I'm going a stupid amount of times often needing it very shortly after having been argh!!  :o

vintagefiend

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »

thanks stella-
i am now starting to concede that it probably is more of a sleep issue- once i am asleep it prob only wakes me once ::)
thanks ladies for helping me deduce whats prob going on- bit of detective work!
back to the drawing board!
i guess men fall asleep (often very quickly!!) without oestrogen and progesterone so it must be doable!

vintagefiend

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »

Hi Stella i'm actually on an ssri so i guess thats nipping any flushes in the bud! get v hot feet but thats about it!
i've never been a great sleeper and like you everyhing has to be just so: ear plugs, blackout blind always!!

vintagefiend

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:05 PM »

Hi Stella- it's venlafaxine which is an antidepressant- apologies if you already knew that!
I started on it due to becoming increasingly more depressed throughout perimenopause but a side effect of it is no flushes! There are less desirable side effects of course like weight gain! I honestly don't know whether it could be prescribed for hot flushes alone -might be worth asking on here. Also worth weighing up whether you want to take an anti-depressant for flushes- some people find it difficult to come off it and you might be wanting to do that in the future. Does that make sense?! I'm a bit tired! Don't want to put you off just don't want to "push" it if it's not appropriate!!

vintagefiend

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »

yes- prob overkill to take an antidepressant just for its side effects!!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »

I believe that particular Anti-depressant eases hot flushes?  It isn't difficult to come off it - it took 9 weeks of tapering every few days for me to stop this AD. 

I don't understand your reply vintagefiend - all medications have side-effects or they wouldn't work ;-) some aren't comfortable though.

vintagefiend

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 05:34:07 PM »

Hi CLKD
yes i'm pretty sure it does ease/prevent hot flushes- certainly, I don't have any (flushes) and I reckon i'd be a candidate for them.
i just wasn't sure if someone who isn't clinically depressed should take an antidepressant for its "ant-flushing" mechanism!
But, if the flushes are really disruptive then they might think it's worth it.
also i'm v pleased to hear that you found it easy to come off- that bodes very well for me as don't want to be on it forever!

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »

A low dose of SSRI can be prescribed to ease hot flushes. It doesn't work as an anti depressant as the dose is too low. It's much the same as being given a low dose tricyclic antidepressants for pain relief. Blood pressure lowering medications are also prescribed to stop hot flushes. Lots of medications have the ability to help with other conditions.

Taz x 😊
Pages: [1] 2