Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Do HRT patches help with A.V. (atrophic vaginitis)?  (Read 2410 times)

badgersmall

Do HRT patches help with A.V. (atrophic vaginitis)?
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »

Does anyone have direct experience of whether combined HRT patches (e.g. Elleste Duet Conti) help for A.V. (atrophic vaginitis/vulvitis)?

I am 57, stopped periods about 8-9 years ago, & still have a womb.

The main menopause symptom I have is a very sore vulva - visibly red areas, with tiny dark red lesions that heal and re-appear. These areas feel very irritated - not itchy, but sore and burning. I have had this continuously for 18 months, and used lots of topical oestrogen - Estriol cream and Vagifem pessaries - but these have not helped.

I have never had hot flushes. I am depressed, and I have leg cramps at night - but both of those could be down to other causes. I have had disturbed sleep for over 30 years because of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS).

So I need to make a decision whether to take the only other thing being offered to me to sort out the A.V. - the patches.

Is anyone in a similar situation to me, with A.V. as the main menopause symptom? Have you tried HRT patches, and did they either improve, or NOT improve, the A.V.?

Taz2

Re: Do HRT patches help with A.V. (atrophic vaginitis)?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »

Hi Badgersmall. I have VA and find that I now need both patch HRT and Vagifem to keep it under control. In my opinion it doesn't matter that you don't have the other Meno symptoms. The VA shows your oestrogen levels are low and the only way to improve things is to increase the level. After the last menstrual period levels continue to drop. Sorry to be a bit brief but I'm writing on my phone in the back of a car without my specs  ;D

You will find loads of support on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

badgersmall

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »

Thanks Taz! no need to reply till you've found your specs  :)

But (2 Qs for you, or anyone else):
Does that combination of the 2 medications actually sort out the VA, and have you found you've had to stay on both of them long-term to keep it from re-appearing?

I've seen some other posts from women mentioning severe anxiety etc from taking HRT - so might it be a case of 1 step forward (skin is better), 2 steps back (anxiety through the roof)?

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »

I have had VA symptoms since about 45 (when I was on the pill ::) ) and they got bad after prolapse surgery - itching, dryness, and loads of watery discharge and swelling, that was swabbed but came back as nothing.

I found the vagifem sort of worked, and sort of didn't so I took femeston 1/10.

I found that I still needed vagifem.  Two a week does not work - I usually use about 3.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »

Vaginal atrophy is caused when the body becomes dry due to a drop of oestrogen levels.  Dry inside and out: skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, scalp, vagina, anus .......... appropriate treatment can ease symptoms when used regularly.  Have a look-see at 'sylc' and 'yes' products mentioned in other threads.  Make notes  ;)

badgersmall

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »

Hi CLKD
Do you mean "Sylk" lubricant? (no results from searching this site)
None of the lubricants or salves (specially made by a herbalist or even coconut oil) that I have tried have helped and nothing has healed it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »

Probably  ::).  It really can be Trial and Error.  Unless appropriate products are used as prescribed: and often ladies find that Vagifem or Ovestin needs to be used every night in order to ease symptoms, the thin skin can cause pain, a feeling of the need to wee more often, itchiness .......... the first product was produced at 25 and is now 10 which means ladies need more of it!

?? Keep away from herbalists.   ??

I have bounced the appropriate thread ;-)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »

I am a couple of years younger than you and started getting problems with VA when I was 48 and in peri.
I have had severe VA and apart from palpitations I have had no other symptoms. I started with Ovestin, before going onto Vagifem but it wasn't until I started using Estrogel plus the Vagifem that I managed to get the VA under control.

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »

I find Dermol useful for washing when sore.  It can also be used as a moisturiser and is really good with eczema patches.

grumpyjane

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »

Does that combination of the 2 medications actually sort out the VA, and have you found you've had to stay on both of them long-term to keep it from re-appearing?

I've seen some other posts from women mentioning severe anxiety etc from taking HRT - so might it be a case of 1 step forward (skin is better), 2 steps back (anxiety through the roof)?

Hi badgersmall
Yes the combination should really help, and yes it's a long term thing that you need to keep under control.
As far as I know, SOME women feel anxious on the progesterone part of their hrt. But many, including me, are ok with it.
J x

badgersmall

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »

Has anyone tried patches (probably with continued use of Vagifem too, judging from what many of you are saying) and NOT found any success improving the AV?
Thanks to all for your advice!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »

AV symptoms R usually kept easier by regular application of appropriate medication.  Some ladies need both localised as well as another form of HRT?

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 01:49:39 PM »

Has anyone tried patches (probably with continued use of Vagifem too, judging from what many of you are saying) and NOT found any success improving the AV?
Thanks to all for your advice!

It works, but you have to keep on top of it.