Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT causing digestive problems?  (Read 3314 times)

kristina12

HRT causing digestive problems?
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »

I started Femoston 2/10 about 3 weeks ago as Femseven patches are not available now until next year. I was doing really well on the patches but since starting Femoston I've been suffering with digestive problems, stomach cramps and loose stools. I don't feel as though I'm getting any benefits from the tablets yet and have all the pre HRT symptoms back.
I know that it's still early days but I'm wondering whether the digestive problems are stopping me absorbing the hormones properly. Has anyone else experienced anything similar with oral HRT? I will stick with these tablets if the stomach problems are likely to resolve but it is very unpleasant and I'm tempted to ask my GP for oestrogen patches and a mirena coil.
Thanks x

sidse

Re: HRT causing digestive problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »

I have no advice to offer re oral HRT but just wanted to empathise with having to switch because of the Femseven shortage. I swapped to Evorel Conti and had thought that I had got away with not having any side effects but have been feeling very anxious the last couple of days and now wondering if it is the new patches. It is so annoying that we have to endure this.

kristina12

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »

Thanks for your reply sidse, it is really annoying and especially when the patches were working well. I am really sorry to hear that you are experiencing anxiety while using evorel conti patches. I think the reason that I opted not to try those was due to the norethisterone in them which I had a bad reaction to when I tried elleste. Norethisterone made me feel quite anxious and irritable so I really can empathise. Femseven patches made me feel really good x

sidse

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »

Hope someone comes along to reassure you about your digestive issues Kristina. I wanted to stay on patches so didn't have much of a choice and hoped that I wouldn't react to Norethisterone. If and when the Femseven come back in to stock, I will be going back on them.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »

Hi Kristina. Digestive problems can be a side effect of pill form HRT as the hrt is metabolised by the liver whereas patches and gel are absorbed straight into the bloodstream. I've read before that these symptoms can improve over time but if you are finding them distressing then maybe you could opt either for a different patch such as Evorel or an oestrogen only patch such as Estradot (or a gel) and a separate progesterone. It all depends on how much the digestive issues are impacting on your life.

Taz x  :hug:

kristina12

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »

Thanks Taz2, it is reassuring to know that this could improve with time. I am a bit concerned that because of the diarrhoea (which happens a few times a week) I might not be absorbing the HRT properly and hence my menopause symptoms not improving yet. I think I will give it a few more days and see how I feel before going back to the GP x

Marie62

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »

Yes I had digestive problems when I started HRT tablets (Angeliq)
I think it lasted about 3 weeks mainly loose stools every morning and a bit of an acid stomach. It didn't seem to affect the absorption, I took my tablet early evening so I would imagine it was absorbed by the morning. I always found I needed to give HRT at least 6 weeks for side effects to settle.

kristina12

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

Thanks Ginny62, that is reassuring to hear and sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. I've been taking the tablets for about 3 weeks so hopefully it will settle soon then x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »

Hi,
Yep i had gut issues when i started HRT pills, took a few weeks of a ppi (otc) and went, so good now.
Interesting about gut trouble and peri/meno.
Four years ago started to get gip, growling, wind, low level constant pain, constipation Gp=IBS.  No meds really got rid of it until....... HRT.
I am stunned and amazed that it was obviously all down to peri and no one seemed to have any idea.
So i guess if a drop in oestrogen gives you gut trouble then when it goes back up then some trouble is inevitable.

Rosie63

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »

This is interesting to know Daisydot, thanks. I'm on a constant quest to find something to settle my stomach so will definitely give it a go.

Rosie x

Rosie63

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »

I will do that Daisydot, thanks.  Can I ask what hrt regime you're on at the moment please and whether you think it is the actual hrt meds that are causing your digestive issues?

Thanks again.

Rosie xx

Rosie63

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »

Ok thanks Daisydot x

kristina12

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »

Thank you ladies for your really helpful replies and it is really interesting to hear about the link between drop in oestrogen and digestive issues as I have actually had similar symptoms on and off over the last few years before starting HRT. However, they are much worse and more persistent since taking oral HRT. The pepto bismal definitely sounds worth a try too x