Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: another vagifem question!  (Read 1067 times)

vintagefiend

another vagifem question!
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »

Hello,
I've decided to try vagifem for urinary issues.
My dilemma is: if my urinary frequency is not the result of low oestrogen, will the vagifem do more harm than good?
It's been 5 months since my last period so i think i can safely say I have low oestrogen (also, i've had private tests which show oestradiol well within post meno levels)
Would this loss of oestrogen be in the vaginal area too- daft question probably!!!
Thanks

dahliagirl

Re: another vagifem question!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »

The vagifem is a tiny amount of oestrogen, delivered to skin tissues where it is needed.

The vaginal, vulval and urethral areas have receptors that bind with the oestrogen and this keeps them healthy and functioning. When there is little oestrogen available, they will gradually decline.  Hence the old term 'vaginal atrophy'.  As this happens, the skin becomes more vulnerable to damage, functions less well, and is vulnerable to infection.  Hence new term 'Genitourinary  symptoms of menopause'  The skin in the urethra has receptors too, as it comes from the same tissue when it is first formed.

Regular external oestrogen helps, along with good care - keep away from irritants - wash with water or something like Dermol.  Keep moisturised (I use the demol, but there are vaginal moisturisers like Yes etc available) use a lubricant (like yes or sylk - one that does not contain irritants)

Also, drinking plenty of water during the day helps a lot with bladder irritation.

vintagefiend

Re: another vagifem question!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »

thanks dahlia!
sounds as though if my bloods are low in oestrogen, this will be reflected elsewhere!
i might as well give it a go.