Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Progesterone tolerance  (Read 5076 times)

Pearl plum

Progesterone tolerance
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »

How do I write a message? Is this right place??
I just need to know if tolerance to progesterone increases over time as I could not tolerate it at first but in persevering I am no longer just crying and sleeping but am coming out of that. Has anyone else had this experience of progesterone effects changing / becoming more tolerable over time?

dangermouse

Re: Progesterone tolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

It's very common when taken continuously, not sure about if it's the case normally when you have for just a few days per month.

I think it's to do with the receptors reawakening.

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »

Dangermouse is right.  Progesterone can make you feel hideous for a while if you haven't had any in your system for a while.  But give it time and it will settle and your body can get on with remembering what to do with it.

I started an over the counter progesterone cream many years ago now.  I was like a zombie, literally couldn't move and my eyes looked dead, for about 48hrs and then it suddenly cleared and I was fine.  I used that cream for a long time before I went onto proper HRT type preparations.

SJGMart

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »

I had the opposite with Utrogestan tolerate small dose with 3/4 day break then started bleeding, pelvic pain, headaches, very sore down below. Still trying to find one I can tolerate

TraceyTracey

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »

I was taking Utrogestan orally and had an awful headache and felt rough for three weeks.  I stopped and within 48 hours the headache had gone and I started feeling normal.  I now insert the Utrogestan vaginally each evening and I tolerate it well, I feel good.    I made this change last Friday after receiving great advice from this forum  :)

I am happy now and feeling good on the progesterine, I am waiting for a Merina coil to be fitted - I usually use the Merina for progesterone but the doc had trouble adding a new one after removing the old one four weeks ago. So that's why I ended up using the progesterone..

RubyLove

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »

Hi TraceyTracey, I had a failed first coil fitting this week (my cervix is too small apparently) . I see the GP on Friday and my options are Utrogestan or another attempt via the gynaecologist. I am keen to just try Utrogestan vaginally like you, thanks to what I have read on this forum. My questions are: does it come as a pessary or do you have to insert the tablet with your finger? Is it an100mg dose that you taking every night?

racjen

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »

It's also worth mentioning that you're never looking at just one hormone on it's own - it's about balance, and you need to have enough oestrogen in your system to balance the progesterone or you won't be able to tolerate it. So is it possible that your oestrogen level has been increasing at the same time, so you now have a better balance between the two? I've certainly found that getting my oestrogen up to an optimum level has enabled me to tolerate utrogestan better than i did initially, still not enough to take it continuously or at a 200mg dose, but better than when my oestrogen was at rock bottom.

Trufflecat

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:28:19 AM »

Rubylove I (and many others on here) just insert a utrogestan capsule that's usually for oral use, using my finger. It's not licenced for vaginal use in the UK, but taking it orally didn't work for me.

Nairn

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »

hi pearl

I am really progesterone intolerant, and after many HRTs the only brand which works for me is Femonston  - hope that helps and life improves

RubyLove

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »

Dear Trufflecat,

There is a vaginally delivered 100mg progesterone pessary called Lutigest

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/progesterone.html

It is not licensed for HRT but if it's the same as Utrogestan, I don't see why we can be prescribed this off-licence (like testosterone and other medicines are) so we have a handy pessary to use and don't have to use our finger. What do you think? I will raise it with my GP tomorrow.

Trufflecat

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »

Interesting...

SJGMart

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »

Dear Rubylove

How did you get on with the suppository progestrone Lutigest?  Interested as I am having problems tolerating the others.  Has anyone else used this?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:19:27 PM by SJGMart »

Bo

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »

Evening everyone, I use an old Ovestin cream applicator to insert the Utro. A 100mg tablet sits nicely in the applicator opening, and the plunger pushes it out. We can deposit it high inside using this method. Hope that helps  :)

racjen

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »

Just wondering, what's the problem so many people seem to have with using your finger? Are you afraid of contact with your own body? It's washable and avoids the need for single use plastic dispensers. And I've never had any problem with getting the positioning right. What's with the squeamishness (or am I  being unfair?)

NorthArm

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

Hi Racjen

Lol, I don't have a problem with my finger, I just wonder if it's going up far enough....

Rubylove, did you end up asking about that other pessary?
Pages: [1] 2