Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New HRT after 2weeks off HRT-Update  (Read 919 times)

Pixielilac

New HRT after 2weeks off HRT-Update
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »

So after being taken off Elleste Duet Conti for 2 weeks because of a month long bleed and not symptoms returning, I now have a prescription for Estraderm MX 25 patches and Progesterone micronised 100mg one a day 25 of each cycle.
Am I right in thinking I take the progesterone for 25 days then will have a bleed?
I am surprised at being given progesterone as this is what was not agreeing with me on the previous HRT.
Has anyone else had Estraderm and Progesterone tablet?
Just looking at the reviews of this dose of progesterone the side effects are exactly the same as to why I had to come off the Elleste.
Edited to say- before I went on the Elleste Duet Conti in April, I was on Estriol cream for atrophic vagina, would I be better just using the Estriol cream rather than the new HRT?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:28:47 PM by Pixielilac »

Hurdity

Re: New HRT after 2weeks off HRT-Update
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 06:51:21 PM »

Hi there - your post seems to have got missed.....

You are unlikely to get a bleed in your 3 days break from Utrogestan with that low dose of oestrogen - but if your womb lining has already built up from previous HRT or menopause generally then you may well  get some bleeding initially (on the 3 days off or before).

If you have a womb then all HRT must contain some form of progestogen to protect the womb lining. The progestogen eventually stops the womb lining growing if taken continuously or allows it to be shed as a withdrawal bleed (like a false period) if taken cyclically. There is usually a settling in time until it works and also the balance between oestrogen and progestogen must be right for bleeding to stop on the continuous combined regime

Some women get side effects from some types of progestogen so then try a different one as you are doing. Micronised progesterone is bio-identical ie the same as our own body makes and so more "natural", whereas the one in Evorel conti (called norethisterone) is synthetic and may cause more pms type symptoms in some women.

Many of us are on a similar combo to you ie oestrogen patch with progesterone - like me ( my patches are Estradot but higher strength). I take the utrogestan vaginally ( I'm a nil-by-mouth gal when it comes to HRT!).

Estriol cream won't help with other menopausal symptoms and some women also need full HRT as you are taking as well as the vaginal oestrogen preparations ( like estriol cream). I hope you are still using this in addition to the HRT?

Hurdity x