Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New vaginal irritation - thrush or va?  (Read 977 times)

EleanorB

New vaginal irritation - thrush or va?
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »

Hello,

I have been using estrogen vaginally for a while due to bladder issues and some vaginal pressure. I have never had any external vulva related symptoms of va.

Recently I had to take antibiotics for an infection - dental, and at the tail end of the antibiotics used hrt for the first time, combo of evorel and ustrogestan. I noticed immediately that ustrogestan caused irritation, I got a period for the first time in 12 months also and a terrible migraine and agitation.  I stopped hrt/ustrogestan after two days. That combo clearly wasn't for me. During this time I didn't use estrogen vaginally as I was unsure if I was meant to.

I now have a burning, itching and angrily pinker than usual vaginal entrance and inside, inner labia. Sorry if tmi but little discharge although something a bit white. This has been going on for a few days. I have tried thrush cream and it's done nothing. Not tried a pessary yet. I am confused. Is this thrush? V. A? I have an external cream for va that I never used as didn't need it. Unsure if I should now try this. Or a thrush pessary?if it's va would that irritate things further?i have a gp appt for weds, earliest I could get, just a bit concerned and curious for any input you may have before then.

I used to be very prone to thrush when younger but at this age things are less clear.

Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New vaginal irritation - thrush or va?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

Go back to the product.  Every night for 2 weeks.  Also, some ladies find that 'yes' or 'sylc' products useful.  If you put those products into the search box you will see threads.

Prior to a course of ABs I always swallow LIVE yoghurt starting 5 days out.  My first bout of thrush as after I stopped The Pill.  Crikey, the itch high up!!!  I used it, eaten and applied  ;)

Canestin sent me to the bath immediately,  :o ........   for about an hour never again.

EleanorB

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Thanks CKLD, apologies do you mean go back to the  estrogen vaginal pessaries regardless of whether it's thrush or not, also the external va cream?

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »

The antibiotics may have upset the vaginal and intestinal microbiomes. Perhaps do a 14 day reload of the Vagifem. You might also try some Multigyn Actigel, as the friendly bacteria need an acid environment to flourish and out-compete the unfriendly organisms (such as Candida). It stings a bit on first application, but is soothing after that. Perhaps it would be advisable to steer clear of Canestin products until you can get a swab done to check if it really is candidiasis? Canestin cream can certainly irritate.
JP x