Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dr Louise Newson interview  (Read 5187 times)

Minion

Re: Dr Louise Newson interview
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »

I was off of HRT in the 2000's because of the research results they came out with that had everyone scared. I was off of HRT for 3 years and it was the most horrid 3 years of my life. The doctor said at the time that the symptoms should disappear in a year  ;D.  I went back on HRT after the 3 years as I felt my menopause symptoms were getting worse and not better.

Perinowpost

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 08:01:09 AM »

Great article Annie, thanks for sharing. I really like Dr Louise Newson, would love to go see her, wonder how much it would be. Also, I don't agree with trying a regime for 3 months if it isn't working either. In fact when I've switched hrt's and it hasn't worked I've been physically unable to do so, and I always feel sorry for the women who are advised this x

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »

Definitely, I've tried a few different ones and I know within a week of it's going to help or not, apart from testosterone as I know that takes more time

X

Tempest

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

Annie!!! Guess what? Just discovered there is a private menopause clinic in Newmarket! Dr. Hannah Short is lovely - take a look!!

https://www.drhannahshort.co.uk/about
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:00:51 AM by Tempest »

SueLW

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:17 AM »

Great article Annie, thanks for sharing. I really like Dr Louise Newson, would love to go see her, wonder how much it would be. Also, I don't agree with trying a regime for 3 months if it isn't working either. In fact when I've switched hrt's and it hasn't worked I've been physically unable to do so, and I always feel sorry for the women who are advised this x

But it does take time.  I don't think you should stick with it if it's making you feel absolutely crazy.  But you should stick with the ones that make you just feel a bit miserable and uncomfortable because it takes 12 weeks for physiologic changes to have an effect.  Perhaps I'm more patient because I am also hypothyroid and still titrating dose for that.  With hypothyroidism you change dose and have to wait 6 - 8 weeks before you can test again.  During that time almost everyone will feel worse for a period of time.  But your body catches on and makes adjustments and things settle just in time to repeat the dratted process.

I had a Mirena for peri symptoms.  I felt miserable, bloated, tired and disinterested in life and at my 3 month check up I said it wasn't working for me and I should probably have it removed.  The doctor talked me into giving it longer.  She said it can take up to 6 months to settle.  I never went back because long before 6 months I was fine and never gave it another thought until it was time to have it removed as it had expired.  I wish I'd had another put straight in, would have made all this easier.

I'm not feeling a bit out of sorts and miserable with Utrogestan at the 6 week mark, but I'm not giving in.  3 months and I'll have a blood test to see what's happening to my levels and take it from there.  People might miss good fits of HRT by giving up too soon because of side effects.  Forget the "couple of weeks" mantra the doctors give us.  I don't think they ever mean that.  But if they said it might be 6 months before you feel well none of us would go for it. 

Again, I don't mean stick with it if you feel absolutely awful or crazy or anything like that. 

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »

I do understand what you're saying and personally, I think that different meds do require a settling-in period.   ADs for example take time, as does testosterone and by the sounds of it, progesterone and thyroid meds.  I just feel for me whenever I have tried oestrogen, the effects (good or bad) are felt within days and I couldn't ever contemplate waiting 12 weeks on one that made me feel worse.  I don't need progesterone, thyroid meds and haven't taken ADs for depression so can't mskr any comment on that.  But I do take amitriptyline at 10mg for my nerve pain in my back and that worked within the first week

I'm not saying I'm right of course with oestrogen, I'm just saying my heart goes out to the poor women sticking with it for 3 months and not gaining any benefits because they've been told to do so x

Annie0710

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »

Annie!!! Guess what? Just discovered there is a private menopause clinic in Newmarket! Dr. Hannah Short is lovely - take a look!!

https://www.drhannahshort.co.uk/about

That's really interesting Tempest, thank you !

I have to make a gp appt for asthma review so will take that opportunity to properly go through my gynaes request of putting me back fully on what I'm on/been on.  Failing that I have no choice but to go private but can't afford it right now xx

Mary G

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »

I like what I have read about Dr Newson, she is a credit to her profession.   No wonder it's so difficult to get an appointment with her.

Minion

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »

As I am new to this forum (but not to menopause  :P) it is so sad to read what people have to go through. I thought my struggle for the last 20 years was hard but in reading this forum I feel so sorry for all these women who struggle everyday. Daisydot I hope things will settle for you and you will get relief eventually.

SueLW

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 10:25:00 AM »

Is she not a colleague of dr Newson tempest I'm sure I've come across her before.😘

I've read all her web site and there is no mention of anyone of that name.  She was a GP until very recently, like early summer, with a menopause clinic in Solihull, at the hospital there.  I think that is ongoing.  Now she's opening a new clinic for women's health (private) in Stratford upon Avon and she has a couple of other doctors joining her there, both women.  No mention again of that name.

suzysunday

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »

I have been off tibolone for nearly a month now after a biopsy and waiting for results. I am 60 and was on it for 18 months.  Now I am having bad hot flushes and don't feel good.  Don't know what the future holds regarding HRT but I don't like feeling like this.
Pages: 1 [2]