Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Estrogen too high?  (Read 2035 times)

Crafty Kaz

Estrogen too high?
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

Hi ladies hoping somebody can give me some advice please.
My hrt journey started in March after turning into an anxious insomniac almost over night! Had all the necessary tests (which came back normal) so we decided hrt would be worth a try to balance things out, periods were getting irregular but still heavy & my insomnia/anxiety/palps seemed to hit in the latter part of cycle. Started on evorel sequi & saw an improvement quite quickly but the conti part of the regime didn't suit (very grumpy & tired)so after a short trial on fem seven sequi which didn't stick I went back to Evorel 50 & my gp recommended utrogestan days 15 to 26. I'm on my third cycle now & actually like the utrogestan which I've been using vaginally 200mg but I seem to be very bloated which is worse on the estrogen only stage with sore breasts and a heavy feeling in my womb area, also periods are so much heavier ... wondering now if my estrogen levels are too high after being on a medium dose since March & whether I could cut the patch to reduce dose, have an appointment with my gp next week but would be grateful for any advice if any of you have experienced similar?! On the plus side I'm sleeping better & my anxiety is minimal now, so know for sure it's all hormonal but just need to get the balance right.
Thanks in advance
Kaz xx

Rosti

Re: Estrogen too high?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »

My peri journey has, like many others, been desperately trying.  However, one of the big issues I had was the general idea that whatever the symptom I was having the advice seemed to be to increase the oestrogen.  I tried this and became very ill on each occasion, the last occasion a close call to A&E.  That was on Estradot 75mcg.  50mcg and I still felt pretty grim some of the time and this I put down to the spikes...  I am sure that it did however even out some of the troughs...

I also could not cope with the Utrogestan and it affected my muscles so badly that  I couldn't walk on more than one occasion.

Finally, not having been able to gain any consistency with hot flushes, insomnia and really bad muscle pain which was treated with tramadol (a lot)... it was suggested (by one of Nick Panay's team) that I force the reduction of  the oestrogen and rely upon supplementation as they suspected I might be the kind of person who fairs much better on a lower and more consistent dosing of oestrogen.

They said it would be like chemical menopause.

At the same time they suggested the Jaydess coil as I hadn't done so well with the Utrogestan.

Long story short... well, shorter anyway... I currently feel 75% of the time like me.  I am on 37.5mcg estradot, synarel nasal spray to shut down my own system... one spray twice daily and here's the really interesting bit for me, I am taking additional progesterone and feeling good (6 months ago this would be absolutely unheard of for me).

Of course there are still a few challenges, like quite how to even out the progesterone for the longer term but if the bright spark at NP's clinic hadn't suggested the synarel and the lower dose oestrogen I would still be feeling seriously grim.....

Hope this is of some use to you

xxx

Steffi

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »

Thank you Rosti. Was about to post and ask about this. I was on 2 pumps oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg 2 weeks of the month. After a high oestrogen reading of 1450 about 2 months ago I have come down to one pump oestrogel most days. However since last Sunday I cannot sleep, my BP is up and I am exhausted. Maybe I am like you. One Dr says use progesterone every day and another go back up on oestrogel. I guess if oestrogen builds up it can cause big imbalances. Not sure what to do now, feeling frustrated and unsure.......any advice? Started HRT over a year ago. My skin on arms and back is burning on/off and again is this hormonal imbalance or anxiety........🤯 🌺

Rosti

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »

My own experience was that the anxiety was caused by the hormonal stuff, be that mine or the supplementation either which way it was not good.  I was really very ill on an oestrogen count of 1171.  I struggled to breathe, couldn't stand for more than a couple of minutes, literally couldn't sleep... I sat up all night coughing and wheezing.

The other interesting thing I have found is that my resting heart rate increases with more oestrogen which is fine until you're lying awake with your heart pounding not being able to sleep... I gave up and got up on many occasions being utterly exhausted during the day.  Often my Fitbit thing would tell me I had less than 3 hours sleep per night.  Introducing more progesterone and quite a bit more...slowly.... things have improved significantly.  I think.... not wholly sure yet as time will tell, but I think I need much more progesterone than I do oestrogen and so far it is feeling good... not 100% by any means but much more like me.

One thing I do know is that my body does not like wholesale change and anything I change has to be done really slowly or my body throws a wobbly ... and I think this might have had something to do with the alleged progesterone intolerance... going from very little to a lot in one go was just more than I could deal with.

Hope this helps

xxx

Steffi

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »

Very interesting Rosti! I really don't know with me. Am checking current levels and will know by Monday. Will see what happens and update next week. 🌺

Crafty Kaz

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »

Thanks for your replies ladies & support  :) still can't work out what is going on with my hormones  :( going to ask for more tests when I have my doctors appointment next week, but as I know so hard to tell what is going on in peri as hormones are so erratic! I have a feeling that I'm lacking progesterone as feel slightly better on 12 days of utrogestan { not so much bloating & more relaxed) but then a really heavy painful bleed after the course, so thought maybe Evorel 50 was too much estrogen for me at this time, periods have been quite heavy during the last year or two & clots tmi sorry 😐  Cut down to half a patch but anxiety & nightsweats came back & a very strange symptom of cold sweaty feet which I had in March when things were really bad  :( When I started my journey back in March as I said before it came over night the awful symptoms ... felt so good for first 2 weeks of that cycle almost euphoric then bam last part of cycle was horrendous & period very late .. nothing I have ever experienced before, couldn't sleep eat or relax at all, ended up at A&E with such a fast heart rate thought I was having a heart attack ... this peri business is such a puzzle, I've been doing so much research it's taking over my life at the mo but from what I gather progesterone drops before estrogen in peri so is it low progesterone causing my symptoms or fluctuations in estrogen ... who knows  ??? All I can say is I want to feel normal for a little while at least ... no bloating headaches low mood anxiety or insomnia would be an absolute blessing.
Thanks so much for replying Rosti & Steffi
We will get through this hormonal rollercoaster ❤️