Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New member Help please  (Read 888 times)

Chrissyp

New member Help please
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »

Hi, advice needed please, I'm 46 & started suffering with heavy periods & depression anxiety 4 years ago, I had a Mirena coil & citalopram & after 4 months all was good until, the start of this year, since then I have had low mood, awful anxiety & many symptoms of peri, including night sweats, but it's the anxiety & mood I hate.
My doctor said to try another AD & so prescribed a switch to Prozac & some estrogen gel, my mirena is 4 years old & im wondering if it is still providing the progesterone, as after 5 months , I've started getting terrible moods & adrenaline rushes in the Morning, I don't know what to do for the best, I don't drink or smoke, do yoga & eat healthily & am a healthy weight. Any ideas please, it's like the hormones are so powerful

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member Help please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »

Hormones are powerful and it's The Change - does what is says on the tin.

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Maybe think which symptom you would like to ease first.  Some find that they need HRT as well as an anti-anxiety medication - did you have anxiety previously, i.e. pre-periods? which went once the bleed began?

Adrenaline surges may be caused by the waking hormone, cortisol.  I have a betablocka to ease those.  I would wake anytime after 3.00 a.m. in a panic, a feeling of dread and fear  :'(

Would you consider changing the Mirena?

Chrissyp

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

I would definitely remove the mirena, if I thought there was a better option, I've only ever had depression & anxiety at times when I think hormones are to blame, like post natal & now this, I'm beginning to think that 4 years ago was the start of this x

Conolly

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:34:13 PM »

Hello Crhissyp,

Welcome to the forum and to the perimenopause hell...

I'd say your own hormones are fluctuating madly now that you are probably at the end of peri and reaching menopause, so most hormone preparations won't make much difference unless on high doses. I'm not an expert, but other members will help you sort this out. All I can say is that it does calm down after menopause. Best wishes.

Conolly X