Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Confused! 🙄  (Read 1164 times)

Hellerscatch

Confused! 🙄
« on: August 27, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »

Hi this is my first post but have been a member for a long time.
I thought i was sailing through menopause, am 53 and have had no bleeding for the last 18 months, i do have the mirena coil in and have done for the last 4 years and one for 7 years previous to that. Had flushes (was treating them herbally) and presumed i was well on my way!
3 weeks ago i started spotting and this lasted about a week.  Got the doc involved straight away and she referred me to the hospital. Had an appoinment on the 10th August and cutting a long story short, the consultant said he thinks the hormone in the coil had stopped working and so i had the coil changed. That did the trick but now i have no flipping idea if i am even in menopause or not! My mother went through and was all done by the time she was 47!
Anyone else ever been in this predicament?
Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Confused! 🙄
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »

Hi and welcome
I would ask for a blood test to see what your FSH and oestrogen levels are. You may well still be peri menopause and this would be why you haven't been having flushes all the time - basically your oestrogen levels have been fluctuating giving the impression that the remedies have been working. 
Now you have a new Mirena, if you do start to get flushes then you can simply add in some oestrogen as patch or gel. It is still quite normal to get some spotting or bleeding with the Mirena - only 30-60% of women are bleed free with the Mirena.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »

Join in.  Browse round.  Make notes! 

Hellerscatch

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »

Thank you both for the quick reply. I feel robbed  >: :) i thought i was nearly there haha. I will have a good look around the site xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »

If you don't have too many symptoms I wouldn't worry about where you might be ;-).  If the coil helps ease issues ...........

Aileenf

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »

The coil u had in was maybe needing changed, l believe if u have the 5 year coil in it starts to run out, and should be replaced year 4.  I've been post menopausal for 4 years but started bleeding again and still haven't found a suitable hrt, if I don't settle on this new one my next move is the coil.

Hellerscatch

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »

Hi and welcome
I would ask for a blood test to see what your FSH and oestrogen levels are. You may well still be peri menopause and this would be why you haven't been having flushes all the time - basically your oestrogen levels have been fluctuating giving the impression that the remedies have been working. 
Now you have a new Mirena, if you do start to get flushes then you can simply add in some oestrogen as patch or gel. It is still quite normal to get some spotting or bleeding with the Mirena - only 30-60% of women are bleed free with the Mirena.
DG x

I asked the Registrar who I saw about a blood test and he just skirted round it! Have never been to the doctor before about anything to do with menopause so really don't know where I'm at!

Aileenf

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »

Funnily enough I spoke to my go tonight as we are trying to get an HRT that suits, and I asked why they just didn't do a blood test to see what my hormone levels are at to see what need to be upped as such.  She advised that they don't do blood tests anymore due to the hormone fluctuations.