Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Who said history was boring  (Read 1716 times)

Jeaniewigs

Who said history was boring
« on: August 24, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »

Some light hearted info before I desert you for the week lol.

1)They used to use urine to tan animal skins so families used to all “pee in a pot then take it to sell to the tannery once a day.If you had to do this to survive,you were “ piss poor”.
Some poor people who couldn't afford to buy the pot were considered the lowest of the low because they “didn't have a pot to piss in”.

2) Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May and they still smelled pretty good in June however since they were starting to smell the brides carried a bouquet of sweet flowers to hide the body odour hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

3)houses had thatched roofs with thick straw piled high and no wood underneath it was the only place for animals to keep warm so all the cats mice bugs etc lived in the roof when it was wet it became slippery and they would fall off hence the saying raining cats and dogs.
This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings would mess up a clean bed so they made a bed with big posts on the corners and hung a sheet over the top for protection while they slept and that's how “canopy beds” came into existence.

4)the floor was dirt only the wealthy had something other than dirt hence the term “ dirt poor” the wealthy had slate floors which became slippy when wet so they laid straw on the floors to help stop slipping,when you opened the door the piles of straw would all start slipping over the door so they placed a piece of wood in the entrance way hence it became a “ thresh hold”.

5)in the old days they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that hung over the fire and sometimes they could get a bit of pork that made them seem quite affluent and they would hang up their bacon to show off to visitors,it was a sign of wealth that a man could “ bring home the bacon”they would all sit round the fire with their guests and cut off a little of it to share round and hence “ chew the fat”.

6)bread was divided according to status.workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf,the family got the middle of the loaf and the guests got the top or the “ upper crust”

7)in old small villages local folks started running out of places to bury people so they would dig up coffins to reuse the grave.
When opening the coffins they found some had scratch marks on the inside and realised they'd been burying people alive.so they would tie a string in the hand of a corpse, lead it through the ground and tie it to a bell,someone would sit out in the graveyard all night to listen for the Bell,hence “ graveyard shift” thus someone could be “ saved by the bell” or was considered a “ dead ringer”.
Who said history was boring  :rofl: 😘Jeanie

dulciana

Re: Who said history was boring
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »

Good heavens!  That's a fascinating read, Daisydot.  Thanks for posting and have a great holiday!

D.

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »

That's so nice of you to take the time to write that all down for us. Very interesting information. Have a lovely holiday. Hope you are going somewhere with lots of history! X

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »

Thanks so much Daisydot, that was a really good read! Have a lovely holiday!
JP xx

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:38:50 AM »

Thanks Daisydot it was an interesting read.

Have a great holiday.

Lanzalover x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

Love finding out where sayings come from !

Ciao DD ! Have a great time xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »

You been to a charity shop and bought a book ?  ;D

I wish that I could remember some that I learned recently  :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »

Brilliant Daisydot,
I love stuff like that,
I knew about the last one, though,

Have a great time,

Jdxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »

The two fingered salute was first given at Agincourt - to show the French that the English bowmen still had their fingers

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »

I love it......lol

Anymore?

JaneL

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »

Thanks Daisydot, great fun! I was blown away by Herculaneum, a stunning site.

On a more serious front, I find it helps to read up on some of the things going on in the world, as it gives some insight to counter the wall-to-wall propaganda from both sides. There's a lot of attempted manipulation going on.