Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sleep Apnea?  (Read 1350 times)

Lady Daviot

Sleep Apnea?
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

Good evening ladies. I just wondered if any of you have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea? I am currently getting treated at both the dentist and hospital for long term teeth grinding which has resulted in loss of teeth splitting all the way up. However Sleep Apnea has been mentioned by the Maxi Facial Consultant as a possibity and I must admit I do awaken a lot in the night and when trying to fall asleep needing to catch my breath. But that coupled with hot flushes and health anxiety all gets muddled up together. I am going to arrange to see my GP about a test but can only guess how long that will be. I am about 2.5 stone overweight so that doesn't help either. Any experience or comments would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sleep Apnea?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »

People benefit from losing weight in order to lessen the effects of SA.  Something to do with pressure when laying down on that floppy thing in the throat ?  :-\

Years ago DH would stop breathing at night  :o which would wake me.  I would then poke him so that he turned over and started to breath.  I did wonder if I could remember where the Insurance Policy was but he always woke  ;).  GP assured us that he wouldn't die but if he lost weight ..... 2 stones later in 9 months and he doesn't do it any more.

He would wake with a jolt and a snort  ::).    Do you share a bed  :-[ ?

Lady Daviot

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »

Hi CLKD, yes sometimes if the flushes are not so bad and the window is wide open. I do need to loose weight, jus trying to get app with GP and cutting back on food and wine 🍷.  Thanks again for your reply x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »

Himself is ???? st overweight and finds that cutting out alcohol completely enables the weight to drop off.  He isn't a drinker, does enjoy his wine - a bottle over a weekend; cider - he's making his own from windfalls  ::) ; also we have a lot of biscuits and 'buns' because when hungry I have to eat 'now' and he tends to join in.

Maybe initially cut back on portion sizes and add more fruits and veg. which are filling.  Slow release foods such as porridge  :sick02:, muesli, bananas, dried fruits and nuts can fill the 'gap' too.