Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Would patches suit me better?  (Read 1387 times)

pricey

Would patches suit me better?
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »

Hi ladies,

I have posted about various bleeding issues with Femoston- first with the conti (at 53 and having been on Elleste Duet 2-3 years my GP thought it worth a try.  I gave up after 8 months when the bleeding, having briefly settled, came back with a vengeance. Now two months in to the 1/10 I am having the same issues!) I feel better on this progesterone and have fewer headaches, but with the Elleste my cycles were predictable and my blood loss manageable. I wonder if this kinder progesterone just doesn't control my natural cycle -erratic as it is. Would patches be the next option? Are they more effective?  After months of"giving it time" I really am feeling fed up. This is affecting my life at work and at home.

Thanks for listening x

Hurdity

Re: Would patches suit me better?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »

It's tricky in peri-menopause as you don't know what your cycle is doing at any particualr time. The only way to actually control your cycle is through the pill (HRT doesn't do this necessarily) - there are a couple of CC pills with more natural oestrogen in them ( estradiol - same as our body) but you might have difficulty getting them prescribed over 50 (Qlaira and Zoely). The problem with combi HRT types is that you can't adjust one of the hormones without the other so if bleeding is an issue a Mirena coil might be the answer? Alternatively you could try a patch eg Femseven sequi (Evorel sequi has same prog as Elleste), or separate oestrogen and progesterone. The two progs available (to use with tablet, patch or gel oestrogen) are Provera (tablets) or Utrogestan ( micronised progesterone) - but women are quite variable in how much they absorb of this orally, and vaginally is better - but you might not want to  do it like this for 12 days per month!).

All the different types are listed on the menu under the Treatments tab (HRT preparations).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hurdity x