Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 1182 times)

debsmeno

Utrogestan
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »

Hi ladies,
I'm on estrogel, utrogestan (vaginally) and testosterone HRT. My query relates to the utrogestan taking part of the cycle, which I take for 12 days from day 15. This month I started to bleed on day 8, 4 days early, so stopped taking the utrogestan assuming my period had begun. However it's been very light and I'm worried that I shouldn't  have stopped and should have completed the 12 days even if I was bleeding. Could anyone advise please? The doc had said previously that if I'd had enough of utrogestan, I could stop some months at day 10. That's because it makes me depressed. So I didn't think stopping early was much of an issue. But now I am worried I may be doing myself some damage. Thanks for reading. X

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »

Not sure if you are peri-menopausal or post-meno? If you are peri and ovulating quite a few months, then you will be producing your own progesterone as well as taking it, so may be less of a problem reducing the number of days. Once you are late peri or post ideally you should take the licensed amount most of the time - but if your doc has said it's OK to take less and will monitor your uterus lining then that's fine. It's experimenting wihhout medical supervision that can be a problem. If your doc says sometimes stop at Day 10 then I would stick to that. You won't do any harm once in a while but persistent low dose/duration of progesterone could lead to endometrial thickening. You can't assume that your bleeding was actually a period - there are all sorts of reasons for bleeding - although if you are peri then this is the most likely explanation! When you take progesterone you are also preventing the lining from bulding up even if you have already started bleeding. Hopefully your doc will keep a good eye on things and good idea to keep a record of how many days you are taking it and when you bleed. Are you taking it orally and 200 mg?

Hurdity x