Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem causing irritation of bladder??  (Read 7448 times)

keancy

Vagifem causing irritation of bladder??
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »

Hi Ladies I need some advice please on VA.

About 5 months ago I was put on Vagifem for vaginal dryness and after the first two week daily dose I went onto the 2 weekly and it was brilliant for 4 months.  Less irritation no constant urination ect ECT. Basically it did exactly what it was meant to do. Then suddenly 3 weeks ago I started getting urgency again constantly wanting to urinate and burning sore vagina.

I haven't got smelly or cloudy urine and when I do urinate it's always normal amounts unlike when I have had UTIs in the past and no pain on urination. In February this year I had a bladder scan and all was totally normal. I don't think this is UTI as I have suffered loads of them and this doesn't feel like one at all but I am stumped why this suddenly happened and what's causing it. I am due a dose of vagifem tomorrow but I am worried about taking it in case it's causing the issue.

On one other note I am severly bloated at the moment and suffer from IBS.

Any advise please??

keancy

Re: Vagifem causing irritation of bladder??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:43:21 PM »

Thank you for your reply. Yes I think I may leave it for a few days and see if it makes a difference. It's miserable right now 😠😠

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »

Hi keancy, I'm inclined to think a 14 day reload of Vagifem might be advisable if you were using it successfully for 4 months. For some people twice weekly is not enough to keep symptoms under control. It used to come as a 25 mcg dose, much lower than the current 10 mcg. Some even take a daily dose. It would also be advisable to cut out tea, coffee, fruit juice or any other acidic drinks until things settle. Drink plenty of water and try half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water three times a day for a couple of days to reduce the acidity of the urine. Perhaps get a urine sample sent off to the lab just in case it does turn out to be an infection?

JP x

keancy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:16:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I intend on having a good old flush through over weekend while off work and I am taking some D mannose aswell. If I am no better by Tuesday I will go to the GP.

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »

Keancy

I'm convinced vagifem doesn't do for me, as I too have burning bladder + pain every time I use it. I feel I am reacting to some ingredient in it. Conversely I'm fine with Ovestin so I prefer to use that x

keancy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »

I may try to get my GP to change my prescription and try that instead. Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »

Don't stop until you have tried 14 nights regular use. The vagina needs oestrogen replacement to stop it drying and becoming itchy.  This product was originally prescribed at 25 [?], now it's 10 so ladies find that they may need it every night, regardless of the recommendations.  Some need 2 doses one night and a single dose the next .........

Keep hydrated.  Maybe bath in a mix of baking powder which can ease symptoms.  Some ladies drink it, I use LIVE yoghurt - eaten and applied; to increase good bacteria throughout the digestive tract.  At the least it won't do any harm.

Some ladies have irritation due to the packaging or fillers used in the product.  Sylc or Yes have been recommended here, do put the products into the search box to see more info..

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »

Also there is another product Estring -  a ring which you insert and releases constant amounts of estradiol - and lasts for 3 months so if you find you are needing to use Vagifem more often and it irritates - this could be the answer.

Also there is Ovestin or estriol cream which has the same effect and you use the same amount - some find this messy though.

I also find Vagifem irritates me (bladder wise) the first day I use it - always increased frequency that day!

Hurdity x