Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New HRT (3rd try) advice, suggestions, what do u think?  (Read 1334 times)

Aileenf

New HRT (3rd try) advice, suggestions, what do u think?
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »

Hi all,

I was on for
Everol conti 3 months had to come off it due to bleeding and low mood
Moved to Angeliq first three months were ok the last three months I have been bleeding

I have had ultrasound everything ok (because of bleeding)

I was at the menopause clinic today and the consultant has recommended I move to kliofem as I need a higher dose of progesterone (I though I would need a lower dose) but willing to giv3 it a try.  He also had taken a biopsy from from womb to check everything ok there.

I'm a wee bit worried about the higher dose of northiestone as I know there are some adverse effects, I believe it is northiestone that is in the everol conti too so I am wee bit worried now that my moods will get bad again.

What do u think?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:48:09 PM by Aileenf »

Dancinggirl

Re: New HRT (3rd try) advice, suggestions, what do u think?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »

Perhaps try having the Mirena fitted and use Oestrogel or oestrogen patches alongside - this regime tends to be the easiest non bleed HRT regime for many women.  Less progesterone is absorbed systemically(so fewer side effects) but more is directed where it needs to go, thereby protecting the uterus and keeping the lining thin. 

Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.

DG x

Aileenf

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »

What I don't understand is that I haven't had a period in 3.5 years, so why now?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

I was very post meno when I tried conti hrts and got erratic bleeding and cramps. My theory is that, as time goes on the uterus doesn't want to play nicely anymore - for some women.
The Mirena with Oestrogel was my best hrt regime in post meno - a bit of spotting in the first few weeks after fitting and then nothing for the next 4 years.
After I had the Mirena removed I tried Utrogestan - as everyone was raving about this bioidentical progesterone - and I got erratic bleeding and awful cramps with this - also a nasty itchy rash in my face. We are all different so that is why there are different hrt options.
I agree with you about taking too much progesterone - the side effects of this might counter the benefits of the oestrogen 
DG x

Aileenf

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:01 AM »

Thanks dancing girl, going to try the kliofem, what's another 3 months, if that fails will try the coil.