Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anxiety has morphed into sadness  (Read 2149 times)

Jaymac

Anxiety has morphed into sadness
« on: August 21, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »

Wow so after the awful off the scale anxiety whilst on sequiConti patches (I stopped taking hrt 5 days ago because mentally I felt I'd explode).

But today it has morphed into the most awful sadness.  I don't want to do anything except cry.

I'm well into peri and am 44yr.  prior to hrt I struggled with mental lassitude, forgetfulness etc. 

Hrt was prescribed 3 months ago and I stuck it out (till last week) but it made it worse, anxiety was the worst ever.

Dr suggested prempak c - got prescription slip  but I hear there's no stock in U.K.  (chemist said no idea if it will return to stock ever).

I genuinely don't know what to do.  I'm at my wits end and this is also coming at a time when my husband has been fighting cancer.  I need more than ever to be “balanced” for his sake but this peri is awful 

Dancinggirl

Re: Anxiety has morphed into sadness
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

I responded to you about this on you other thread.  I'm afraid HRT doesn't always fix anxiety and low mood especially if it isn't related to hormones. DG x

Jaymac

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »

Thank you dancinggirl - I think u may be right.  Went to GP today and have been prescribed SSRI's.  Have decided to forgo the HRT - just for now - I know will need to try HRT again but want to try get the depression out the way first.  Thanks very much for your help.  Ive only been on this site a few days and its been so valuable.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »

I hope the SSRI helps. Many women need an SSrI alongside hrt to truly control their meno symptoms and anxiety. It will be trial and error till you find the right combination that helps and trying one thing at a time is sensible.  If this SSRI helps the low mood and anxiety you can then add in hrt and this way you'll know what is working well.
It takes time and patience I'm afraid.
  Keep us posted.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »

I think getting mental health sorted can help some of us deal with what else might be required, we can see the wood for the trees once less depressed.

Maybe keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be of use?  Also, decide which symptom you would like to ease first ........

I used to sob the night B4 a bleed, even when a period wasn't due!  HORMONES  >:(

racjen

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »

This is a chicken and egg argument that comes up on here over and over again - some people feel you should control the mood problems first with anti-depressants and similar drugs, others that if the problem is hormonal you should be trying to find a hormonal solution, ADs aren't appropriate and come with a myriad of side-effects and other problems.

It should be pretty clear if your problem is hormonal, usually it either manifests as significant PMS, post-natal depression or anxiety and depression that only started at peri-menopause. Anxiety that's been around for a lot of your life in a more general way is less likely to be hormonal and so more appropriate for AD treatment.

Personally I think there's a big difference between the two (I suffer from hormonal mood problems and am still struggling to find a solution, whereas some of the others on here have suffered from anxiety for most of their lives and have been using medication for years); NICE guidelines are that HRT should be the first line of treatment for menopausal depression and anxiety, so your GP shouldn't be pushing SSRIs before fully investigating HRT. Obviously in the end though everyone has to go with her own solution. Good luck x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »

Racjen - if you read Jaymacs other thread you will see why, on this occasion, I suggested an SSRI might be appropriate for a short time to see if it would help.
Jaymac's situation is quite complex and hrt will be introduced once she is feeling mentally ready to cope with it.
It's often best to start things one at a time to ascertain what is working well and what isn't. DG x

Andreaweston

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »

Hi, have you tried a zinc supplement,  this has helped me a bit with anxiety. Less than before anyways. Google Zinc & anxiety link.

SueLW

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »

For me the anxiety and dreadful sadness is receding fast with Estrogel and Utrogestan every other day vaginally.  I had come within a hairs breadth of asking for AD's even though I know it's hormonal.  So glad I didn't.  I'd say can you try something else first?

racjen

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »

Sorry DG, it gets a bit complicated when there's more than one thread going on at the same time about the same thing. Can't keep up...and also can't find the other thread anyway so none the wiser x

Mustard1

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

To SueLW -  I was very interested in your post when you said your symptoms were receding with estrogel and Utrogestan every other day vaginally.  Can you tell me the doses as I may go to my Meno Dr to ask for this option.  I am currently on 1 1/2 pumps estrogel (1/2 just recently started and 50mcg Everol conti but I am still plaqued with anxiety followed by depression. I would really appreciate it. M xx

SueLW

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »

To SueLW -  I was very interested in your post when you said your symptoms were receding with estrogel and Utrogestan every other day vaginally.  Can you tell me the doses as I may go to my Meno Dr to ask for this option.  I am currently on 1 1/2 pumps estrogel (1/2 just recently started and 50mcg Everol conti but I am still plaqued with anxiety followed by depression. I would really appreciate it. M xx

Hello.  Yes, I'm on 2 pumps of estrogel and 100 of Utrogestan.  I take the Utrogestan vaginally every other night.  I am feeling a lot better on this than I have been feeling for a long time.  I started on 1 pump of estrogel, but very quickly realised I was running out of steam by afternoon.  I am better on 2 pumps but feel like I run out at night.  Might need more yet. 

The only side effects of this treatment I'm getting so far is very bad bloating, wind and a bit of acid reflux.  I am also hypothyroid though, so the HRT could be interacting with my thyroid meds and some adjustment might be needed.  The other alternative is I try taking the Utrogestan every night and see if that helps.  I seem to be more bloated on the days furthest from my Utrogestan.

It's certainly worth a try.  My mood is a lot better, although prone to the odd day of feeling really low, but that could be thyroid related for me as well as possible HRT related.  It's very hard trying to optimise both sets of hormones together!

Mustard1

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »

Thank you SueLW.  :)