Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Had Mirena removed, they could not do the re fi..... progesterone issue  (Read 3979 times)

TraceyTracey

Hi I went to have my Merina removed and refitted yesterday, but the new one would not stay put (ouch ouch ouch by the way!).    I have to wait to get on the Gynea public list for a re fit whilst being asleep.  The Doc gave me Utrogestan 100 to take daily until the coil can be fitted.   The old merina  was due to be refitted in 5 months and I could feel the effects of the progesterone wearng off, I was getting agitated and reacting to stressful situations.   My work can test the patience.  So this is my third Merina in 14 years.   What do you guys think about Utrogestan and will it work the same as the Merina in relation to levelling out my hormones and making me feel normal and energised.

Anyhow, doc called today to say that I do not have adequate protection for pregnancy.

I am peri, on estrogen and usually the Merina coil.  It works for me, I adjust the estrogen if symptoms flair up and life's pretty good when both work in unison.

The Dr has now suggested a contraception injection (3 months cover) on Monday.  I don't fancy more hormones in my body on top of the new progesterone  pills and my evorel patches.  What do you think ladies.  I am 47, been peri for 5-6 years, using patches and merina for 4 years.   Things were levelled out until yesterday.  I have never taken the pill or had a contraception injection before. 

I have only had the chance to take one Utrogestan 100 pill so far and feel fine, but it's not enough as a contraception.

I of course do not want to get pregnant.. but at the same time I want to feel good and not go back to the days of peri symptoms where quality of life is poor.  Thank you 😊

Dancinggirl

Re: Had Mirena removed, they could not do the re fi..... progesterone issue
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »

Why not just use condoms until you get the new Mirena fitted? 
There are also BCPs that are good in peri meno which you could try - there a two kinds and they are called Qlaira and Zoely. These have bio identical oestrogen as you would get with HRT, so can be good to help with flushes etc whilst still offering contraception.  DG x

TraceyTracey

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »

Thank you for the response.

I am seeing the Dr tomorrow for follow up on contraception issue.

Could I still get pregnant even though I have been peri for years but on estrogen.  I don't know if I still bleed due to Merina coil. However I am experiencing a brown coloured light bleed since coil removal on Friday.

Thanks

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »

Yes you could still get pregnant.

Advice for stopping contraception is 1year without periods if you are over 50. 2 years without periods if under 50. X

TraceyTracey

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »

So I have no Merina and I am taking Progesterone tablets.  I feel awful, I have a permanent headache, aching bones, it hurts to sit, I am itchy and I have a runny nose like allergy symptoms.   

Is this too little progesterone or too much.. I cannot wait for the Merina to be refitted.

Thank you

Trufflecat

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »

Are you swallowing the utrogestan or inserting it vaginally? For me, taking it orally didn't cause a bleed whilst vaginally it does, which suggests to me that more of the progesterone gets to where it's needed if it's inserted.

SueLW

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »

I second the vaginal route for Utrogestan.  I understand the side effects are a lot, lot less.  I'm doing it vaginally.  I push it up as far as possible when I get into bed and it dissolves there.

TraceyTracey

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »

Thank you.

My prescription says to take the Utrogetan orally.. can you insert this type vaginally?

TraceyTracey

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »

Please can someone comment whether it's ok to use Oral Utrogestan  vaginally?  I did it anyway last night beacause I am tired of feeling awful.  I have a permanent headache (3 weeks now).  My joints ache and I am either tired or stressing myself out ruminating about small stuff.  The fear of impending doom... all that lovely stuff  :o .  I want to feel normal and Evorel 50 patches with a working Merina allow me to... I miss my Merina  :D

I have also strained or torn my hamstring - currently sitting on ice which takes my mind away from the aching joints elsewhere.   If it does not improve in 4 days it could be a tear.  It's painful.... as my younger colleagues say.  I am living my best life right now... err unfortunately NOT!!  But a Merina coil might allow me to be close   :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »

Whilst it is not licensed to be used vaginally here in the UK, most other countries do recommend vaginal use and the capsules you have are used for both oral and vaginal use.

Hamstring injuries are awful - you poor thing.  Hopefully you can get the Mirena soon.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »

Sorry to hear about your hamstring. I strained mine five weeks ago and am having physio weekly. It's worth getting treatment as soon as possible rather than waiting like I did. I still can't drive for more than half an hour. So frustrating!

Taz x

TraceyTracey

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »

Thank you ladies. You have put my mind at rest.

Hopefully I should start feeling better over the weekend now that I have stopped taking them orally.  I think I read that the improvements happen quickly?  And there are far less side effects, Is that correct?

I am waiting for my Merina fitting appointment, I am on the public list to have it fitted whilst asleep due to it not attaching properly whilst awake.    Could be months the Gynae secretary tells me.... that's months of pain and crazy times for me I thought quietly to myself and then remembered to be gracious about all those who are waiting for Operations too... if the progesterone vaginally works I will happily wait patiently...

Oh no sorry to hear you have a hamstring injury too.   I hope yours gets better soon.  How long did you wait for treatment.  A&E said wait 5 days and if no better get a referral for physio.   I am resting and icing it... it's hard to get comfortable.

PTs/gym owner friends are telling me to go to Physio now? I will be gutted if I am out of action for 6 weeks, I was finally adding some muscle on my back, legs and glutes, I was enjoying my training (bonding with hubby) and seeing the improvements...  fingers crossed it will be a short recovery.   I am trying my best not to loose too much muscle due to my age and want to be strong and healthy.

Thanks ladies

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »

I didn't rest mine for the first two weeks as Dr diagnosed sciatica over the phone (no appointments for five weeks) and advised to exercise by walking and take naproxen. I didn't take the naproxen but tried to walk through it which is totally the wrong thing to do for hamstring. I am seeing a physio privately as doc said NHS wait here could be 14 weeks. I can't drive still for longer than half an hour but things are improving a bit. It's lucky I've been on school holidays for six weeks but it's been so boring with no walking or driving. Hope you get yours sorted soon. Mine is high proximal apparently!

Taz x

TraceyTracey

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »

Oh no that sounds bad, I do not think mine is going to be anyway as awful as yours.   I have stayed home for two days and will stay home all weekend.   Perhaps A trip to get food and a dog walk but that will be it.   I went in the car earlier to grab something from the shop quickly, I seemed fine, I was walking a little slower but that's all.   I am still doing the RICE regime and it feels so much better than it did yesterday and better than when I woke up this morning.   I couldn't do a work out or any fast paced walking, quick movements right now though.   Mine feels like its at the very top of the thigh at the rear, my glutes do not hurt fortunately.   

It's about 40 hours since I had a Utrogestan orally and my permanent headache is subsiding.  I am also feeling less burdened by the pain in my head and body.    I can't believe it... let's hope the improvements continue.     I took it orally for 3 weeks and more or less had a headache and body aches and pain for the entire 3 weeks... what a waste of time. 

Thank you for great advice all. 

TraceyTracey

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

So it's been 4 days since I stopped the Utrogestan orally and changed to vaginally... what a difference.. the permanent headache has gone, Aches and pains are much less.   I feel less stressed / down due to not being in pain and less anxious.   Thank you so much.

Is it ok to take the Utrogestan 100 every night now until I get my Mirena fitted.  That's what the doc prescribed but orally not vaginally.  She does not know yet that I am taking it vaginally - yet, do I tell her.

Thanks

Pages: [1] 2