Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Memory issues - Worried.  (Read 1389 times)

Lothian70

Memory issues - Worried.
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »

I'm 48 years old and I'm peri-menopausal. A blood test confirmed it in May 2016. My FSH levels were very, very high.
I've been on HRT patches since. Evorel Sequi (or something like that).
I've been a bit concerned about my cognitive function of late. I've been experiencing 'cotton wool' head, as I like to call it. I get lost for words and my driving isn't great and I just feel a bit stupid sometimes. I seem to have a lot of 'duh' moments.
This morning though I became more concerned than usual. I was going to heat some milk in microwave for breakfast and just completely forgot how to use the microwave. I use it ALL the time too. I just kept pressing the keypad and it just wasn't coming to me at all. I eventually got it to work as I think I just about used every button possible.
Now I'm a bit concerned there's something more sinister involved e.g early onset dementia.
I know this episode sounds almost comical, but I'm really concerned. Has anyone had any symptoms like this during perimenopause?

AgathaC

Re: Memory issues - Worried.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »

Go and read symptoms 10 and 11 on the 34 menopause symptoms website.
Yes, I've always had a very good memory but I have been having odd moments for a while. Sometimes I go on autopilot when I drive and go and pick up one of my children rather than to the office, etc. And I often go in a room and forget what I went in for.
Maybe keep a diary of these episodes and if you are really concerned, go and see your GP. But there are tons of examples on this forum of ladies doing funny things (even if they may not feel funny to the doer at the time) xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »

Join the Club  ::).   We have a thread 'doing stupid things', do read.  You may feel that what you experience is more within 'normal limits'.  There's no reason why you shouldn't make notes/lists.  My problem now is that if I write a shopping list and leave it at home, I can't remember what is on it  >:(  ::).

bramble

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

At 48 it would be very very unusual for you to have even early onset dementia. It would be more normal for it to appear in your fifties. When you are feeling stressed or even over-tired the brain does not function as well, but it is just a temporary blip. Keep a note of any other memory lapses and then see the doc if they continue, even if it is just to reassure yourself.

Bramble

Lothian70

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »

Thanks for all your replies. I'll start keeping a note of when I have 'blimps' in my memory and speak to the doc is it's happening more than not.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »

Similar things have happened to me a lot since I have been perimenopausal. I was very worried about dementia too but have noticed that now my estrogen levels are higher due to HRT these strange things happen much less and my cognitive functioning is better. Not back to pre peri but better enough to put my mind at rest.

Robin
X