Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Lutigest pessaries progesterone  (Read 2717 times)

Loubylou

Lutigest pessaries progesterone
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »

Anyone tried these progesterone pessaries?

racjen

Re: Lutigest pessaries progesterone
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

Never heard of them, or seem them mentioned on here. Are they synthetic or bio-identical do you know? And what are they made of?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:23:14 PM »

They are another type of progesterone pessary used for fertility - there is also Gestone too (they're list on eMC directory). However I don't think they have been used for hRT - although maybe some private gynaes have prescribed them. Cyclogest is the other fertility one that is used for hRT - and was used before utrogestan became available - but that's not licensed either although I think there has been some research into its efficacy for HRT as well as fertility (Cyclogest that is).

Have you been offered this by a menopause gynae Loubylou?

Hurdity x

Loubylou

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »

Yes Hurdity I've been offered it as utrogestan made me feel sick and gave me thrush when inserted down below. I haven't started it yet. The consultant said it was progesterone specifically to be inserted so it may not have the bad side effects. I went to research it but only heard about it on fertility sites with ladies using it for ivf.

I've been prescribed to take it the same as utrogestan (12 days). It is bioidentical too which i'm happy about.

racjen

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:19:06 PM »

Interesting - so if it's a pessary does that mean it'd be possible to cut it into smaller pieces? What's the standard dose it comes in? I'm trying to find a way to get a lower dose of continuous progesterone, in order to avoid side effects and withdrawal, and it's impossible with the gel type capsules like Utrogestan. This whole one-size-fits-all thing with progesterone is infuriating - I'm sure many of us would be fine on far less progesterone than is being pushed on us but the doctors are too scared of the possible consequences to allow a bit of experimentation.

Loubylou

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »

Hi, the dose I've been prescribed is 100mg for 12 days. i'm worried about the discharge from the capsule and putting on weight.

I tried provera (synthetic tablets) those were okay but I piled on 8 pounds in less than a month!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:00:05 PM »

It would be interesting to see how it works in terms of sdie effects. May only comment would be if you compare the doses used in fertility treatment Lutigest is given 3 x per day ( ie 3 x 100mg = 300 mg), and vaginal Utrogestan the same frequency (ie 3 x 200 mg = 600 mg) ie twice as much implying that Lutogest is more concentrated - but maybe the formulation is such that more gets to the uterus easily - and hopefully fewer side effects!

We'd love to have a description of the tablet and how you get on with it!

racjen I've talked about dosing on another thread today in response to your comment - can't remember where now!

Hurdity x

Loubylou

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, when I get them I will let you know.

I take vagifem too. Do you think they will affect each other as they are both pessaries?

One thing I have noticed is that before hrt I was constantly snacking, due to tiredness, low mood and some hunger. My estredoil was 70pmol which I think is very low. My prog and test were almost 0. 

This week I have started with a estradot, vagifem and some testosterone and I no longer feel constantly hungry! wohoo! I am dreading the progesterone!