Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ultrasound cost  (Read 2577 times)

Loulou1960

Ultrasound cost
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »

Hi ladies, just to let all of you know,ultrasound direct offer scans to check endometrial thickness for £ 79...Lots of clinics throughout UK.. Have seen on here people paying over £200. Have one every 6 months just to keep a check on everything.

Sunnydays

Re: Ultrasound cost
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »

Thanks for this LouLou
I am one paying an awful lot! Is this the type of scan similar to when pregnant? It's most probably good for keeping an eye on the thickness and at that price 6 monthly is affordable.
I have the  vaginal one (ouch!) which looks at overall uterus health and ovaries.
Thanks again

Loulou1960

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »

Yep,vaginal scan and abdominal to check ovaries,so do have to drink a pint of water beforehand which is not too bad.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »

Stellajane, women like me who are severely progesterone intolerant have to have several vaginal scans every year.   I take a high dose of oestrogen and a super low dose of progesterone so I am under close supervision.

For everyone else, a yearly scan is adequate.

Loulou1960

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »

Only having utrogestan days 14 to 21 and 2 pumps of oestrogel daily,so 2 scans a year which only costs £160 is for me worth it .As a retired nurse probably more cautious than most!! Ha ha.

Jeaniewigs

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »

There's no risk with ultrasound so if you can afford it then get it done as often as you feel is necessary,when I had my transvaginal scan done we only needed to do the pelvis as there were no masses anywhere and the ovaries were practically gone,my consultant said at last someone in your area who had used a bit of common sense and not used unnecessary procedures what a relief it was.as you say well worth the money 😘Jeanie

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »

Hi ladies, just to let all of you know,ultrasound direct offer scans to check endometrial thickness for £ 79...Lots of clinics throughout UK.. Have seen on here people paying over £200. Have one every 6 months just to keep a check on everything.

Also to add that this price is for women of child-bearing age - it is more expensive if you are post-menopausal and they package other things in with it. The cheapest for this would be £139 - called pelvic scan - which is what I had (through Ultrasound Direct), and included a U/S scan of uterus ( and ovaries which of course had disappeared as expected!) as well as TVS of uterus, and then looked at liver and other organs.

Stellajane, women like me who are severely progesterone intolerant have to have several vaginal scans every year.   I take a high dose of oestrogen and a super low dose of progesterone so I am under close supervision.

For everyone else, a yearly scan is adequate.

Mary G - I know it is very important to monitor women on high oestrogen doses and low prog regimes, but in your case I'm surprised you still need to have several scans per year if your womb lining always measures 2 mm post-bleed - surely in your case with such good endometrial clearance you could go longer in between scans? I'm interested to know why your consultant still does this. How often do you have them done?

Hurdity x

grumpyjane

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »

:-\ grrr, just don't understand how to do this quote thingy...

Anyway Hurdity,  I was looking on the ultrasound direct website and a post  meno scan is £189. Or am I missing something?

Loulou1960

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »

Oops,seemed to have caused a debate here...I went for cheapest scan to check endometrial lining  which wasn't questioned,and I am post menopausal.

Lanzalover

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:11 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Just for clarification should the scan be done just after a withdrawal bleed if you are post meno.

Many thanks
Lanzalover. X

Jeaniewigs

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »

Yes Lanzalover that's correct,well worth gettng done for piece of mind 😘Jeanie

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »

Oops,seemed to have caused a debate here...I went for cheapest scan to check endometrial lining  which wasn't questioned,and I am post menopausal.

If you look at the website they're all listed and who they are aimed at. I suppose since you book on-line you could just book one for £79 - and go with whatever they come up with - but the website gives the details of what they are looking for and that one is designed for those about to undergo fertility treatment. It may well be that the sonographer carrying out the scan will have a particular expertise?

:-\ grrr, just don't understand how to do this quote thingy...

Anyway Hurdity,  I was looking on the ultrasound direct website and a post  meno scan is £189. Or am I missing something?

Yes but that includes a blood test for ovarian cancer so I chose to have a cheaper one which was upper abdominal and pelvic scan for £139. This was carried out by someone with different (more) expertise than just the pelvic area.

However sounds like if you are just after thickness then try to go for the cheapeast as Loulou1960 did - hopefully if you are old like me ( and obviously well past child-bearing age) it would still accept the booking!

Hurdity x

Lanzalover

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Lanzalover x

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »

I've been reading this thread wondering whether I should have this done totally forgetting I've had a hysterectomy!! Meno brain strikes again!   ;D

Taz  :D

grumpyjane

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »

:lol:
Pages: [1] 2