Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Reduce belly fat to balance hormones?  (Read 1755 times)

Jari

Reduce belly fat to balance hormones?
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »

I was just reading that excess fat cells produce extra estrogen and that even a moderate weight loss can have a positive impact on our health. Losing belly fat will release the excess estrogen, resulting in a more hormone balanced body.

Has anyone experienced this? I think it's got to be worth a try.

My bmi is on the higher end of ideal numbers, plus I do have a bit of a belly. I'm intrigued to know if anyone who has a flat belly has many symptoms?

Emerald2017

Re: Reduce belly fat to balance hormones?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »

Actually fat cells store some estriol, not estradiol and it is not good for our health. Maybe it makes our body to adjust easier to our transition into meno regarding symptoms but gaining fat isn't healthy.
I am an athlete with low to medium body fat and a flat belly. I had too severe symptoms during peri.
When I diagnosed with early meno a year ago, I observed that my body was starting to make more cellulite and to store fat in my middle.
After starting hrt everything is back to normal. I also observed that I had elevated blood sugar before taking hrt and hrt helps with my glucose intolerance too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:01:30 AM by Emerald2017 »

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »

I've read about this in several places. 

I am, sadly, fat.  I didn't used to be, it came on very fast along with all the other issues I am trying to sort out.  But being fat hasn't given me more oestrogen, my numbers just the other week were very low and I was using a low dose HRT at the time.  So I suspect this might be a bit of a sweeping statement.  Perhaps belly fat produces Estrogen in some women sometimes.  But it didn't help me.  I've had a terrible time.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »

It's actually estrone that fat cells store! Estrone interconverts with estradiol in the body and they exist in dynamic equilibrium. If you lose weight (fat) and the estrone is released all at once - this would only be temporary as it would be metabolised as normal and disappear from the system pretty quickly.

Fatter women will also feel the heat more and sweat more generally so menopausal symptoms may well be exaggerated depending on how much fat!

I have a flat belly but my BMI is in the upper half of normal - but I have a medium frame so will carry more weight than someone who is petite or slight or thin-boned. This needs to be taken into account - you will know your frame type/bone size. I am also on HRT so my lack of symptoms will be due to that!

Nothing to do with balancing hormones - but losing fat (and improving your diet) is the best thing that anyone can do for their future health whatever else they do or do not do or take. So yes - go ahead with your moderate weight loss if you feel you need to, take more exercise, improve your diet if you need to and hopefully you will feel better :)

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »

Sounds like you're on the right track Jari! I had to reduce portions drastically when I got well into peri-menopause as the weight began to creep up - but I dealt with that and my diet now ensures I don't put on weight. I don't go hungry though - just changed the combination of foods I eat. Much much lower carb and minimal sugar ( except fruit). Lower fat ( except good fats) and loads more lean protein (including fish), low(er) fat dairy, nuts, fruit and veg - and still enjoy a glass of wine, a bottle of Becks or a G & T (not all at once and not every day) !!!

Hurdity x