Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - vaginal capsule vs pill  (Read 907 times)

sheila99

Utrogestan - vaginal capsule vs pill
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »

I have been prescribed the vaginal capsules, I know I shouldn't complain because they aren't normally prescribed for HRT (my GP didn't know). However, I find them so messy that I wear a pad at night. 12 days for this plus another 5/6 nights while I bleed is getting a bit too much. If you use the pills vaginally is there less mess? Is there little enough you don't need a pad? And does it work just as well?

Taz2

Re: Utrogestan - vaginal capsule vs pill
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:51:14 PM »

I'm not sure which pill you mean?

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »

As I understand it (and I may be wrong) it comes in two forms. I have the squishy vaginal capsules, for vaginal use only and the info indicates it's to support IVF, no mention of HRT. The pills are for oral use but can also be used vaginally. It seems most people are prescribed these.

Sid

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »

Hiya
I have been taking the Utrogestan vaginally now for a few months. Not sure if it is the same as yours - white, round capsules, each 100mg?  I use 2 capsules at night on days 12 to 26.  Following advice on this forum, I insert them as high up as I can.  I can't say it is overly messy - most of the outer capsule comes away when I go for a wee in the morning.  There is some residue which comes away later but it is not excessive. 
I do find that the Utrogestan is absorbed better this way (I was having early bleeds when I took it orally but now everything is fine), so it may be worth persevering  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

The 200 mg vaginal capsules are exactly the same as the 200 mg capsules that used to be available for cyclical HRT (oral use UK) but for some reason were stopped for this purpose, so both 100 mg and 200 mg can be used either orally or vaginally. Maybe the 100 mg were not actually designed for vag use? It's just those pesky tiny 100 mg balls are a bit nore tricky to insert as there is so little to get hold of in your fingers! As Sid says - just poke 'em up as far as you can. Yes a bit messy but can't remember whether the 200 mg was messier - a small price to pay in my book though, than having to take them orally.

Yes more is absorbed to the uterus this way (and in fact, systemically - but with fewer side effects).

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll ask for the 100mg ones next time, I'd rather have a bit more trouble inserting them than have to wear a pad. My 200mg capsules can't be taken orally so I think it's a different formulaton.