Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy flare up  (Read 5095 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal atrophy flare up
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »

Quoting from Uni of Manchester : not mention of who financed this -

Most cases occur in women aged 25 to 34, but a growing female population using hormonal replacement therapy (HRT) - to alleviate menopause symptoms and improve sexual experience - is thought to be behind the rise in the numbers affected.

Men can and do get thrush! as both partners should be treated at the same time. 

Nothing at all in the article to back this.  Dates.  Papers.  etc.  ::). - off to do a search ;-)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:16:56 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »

Onwards:  good old GOOGLE  ;D

Dr Riina Rautemaa-Richardson, lead researcher and clinician -

"Senior Lecturer in Infectious Diseases and Medical Education and Consultant in Medical Mycology at the University Hospital of South Manchester

Director of the Masters in Medical Mycology Programme

Topic co-lead for Undergraduate Infectious Diseases Learning

Biography

I am a Consultant Medical Mycologist at the University Hospital of South Manchester and a Senior Lecturer in Infectious Diseases and Medical Education in the Institute of Inflammation and Repair, University of Manchester. I am a member of the UHSM Infectious Diseases team and associated with the National Aspergillosis Centre, and I have expertise in medical microbiology, medical mycology, infectious diseases, antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention as well as mucosal immunology and oral and vaginal health and disease. I have a special interest in chronic mucosal candidosis and expertise in the management of a spectrum of other mycoses including fungal sinusitis and skin infections in compromised patients.

My research group undertakes basic research (genomics, pathogenesis and mechanisms of antimicrobial drug resistance and carcinogenicity of microbial acetaldehyde production), applied laboratory work (models of pathogenesis, molecular diagnostics, antifungal resistance testing, pharmacology of new antimicrobials), and clinical studies (antimicrobial resistance, tissue responses to chronic mucosal infection and acetaldehyde exposure). My main emphasis is on the pathogenesis of chronic mucosal infections as well as the carcinogenicity and mutagenicity of chronic Candida infections. To date I has published a total of over 100 peer-reviewed articles and books or book chapters in the field of medical microbiology, mucosal immunology, infectious diseases and oral medicine. I am also the Programme Director for the University of Manchester MSc in Medical Mycology and an enthusiastic educationalist.

Qualifications

DDS, PhD, FRCPath, PGCertMedEd

Memberships of committees and professional bodies

Royal College of Pathologists, European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, International Society for Human and Animal Mycology, American Society for Microbiology, Association of Clinical Oral Microbiology, British Society for Medical Mycology

Good job that the Press didn't target this then: "the carcinogenicity and mutagenicity of chronic Candida infections"  ::).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:48:34 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »

Reading the article it states that it is un-known whether LIVE yoghurt helps.  Well it does. 4 me.  ;)  It cleanses the gut from top to bottom and helps replace bad bacteria as well as encouraging good flora.  Eaten and applied ..........  ;)

Sorry I can't go to any articles but have my own experience going back 20 years now as well as having talked to others that have used yoghurt.  Honey is a good healer too but I don't prescribe that on my nethers  ;D

I've never been asked to take part in any trials relating to womens' health nor discussed this with my GP but wonder why HRT should encourage thrush.  Hopefully Dr Rautermaa-Richardson will follow up her thoughts on this. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:52:31 PM by CLKD »

Shadyglade

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

Perhaps, and this is just a guess, it is because HRT replaces hormones which would otherwise be absent, and it is these hormones that increase suceptability to thrush. That could be why the prime age is up to mid thirties as that is when these hormones would naturally be at their peak.

As I say just a guess. I am sure someone will put me right, if so.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

I wonder then, how many ladies have thrush at those ages without being on HRT  :-\.   Certainly my 1st attack of thrush was 10ish days after stopping The Pill, I remember the itching high up but not how quickly it began  ::), nor do I remember the name of the pessaries but I do remember being told not to scratch "However much you want to".  Now I have to work out how old I was which may take some time ........  ;D

Could it be the fillers/packaging that aggravates the condition rather than the product? 

Shadyglade

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »

I certainly had thrush a few times in my twenties and thirties but not since then. Have not been on the pill, except for the mini pill for one month. My GP insisted I give it a try but I forgot to take it twice.  I dicided at that rate I'd end up with baby no. 3 so opted for sterilisation.

Happy days.  ::)

Peripurple

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »

I think it must have been the fillers, although still very irritated it is not as itchy and I am taking the Vagifem daily, hopefully will improve soon. 

unfortunately it makes me so stressed I think this just exacerbates the flare up more   It's like one feeds into the other.  Does anyone else they find they ruminate on the symptoms, I just constantly think about it  :(

Shadyglade

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »

Could be the hot weather is not helping. Sometimes a combination of things create a perfect storm.  It will go eventually though so try and distract yourself in the meantime.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »

I ruminate.  When well my brain is quiet but any anxiety and it takes off  :-\  :'( picks up a thread and runs with it.   >:(

Keep on with the treatment!! 

Peripurple

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »

Thank you CLKD. 
Pages: 1 [2]