Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy flare up  (Read 5096 times)

Peripurple

Vaginal atrophy flare up
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice, I am 42 years old and suffered with VA for 2 years, although only started treatment in November last year once VA was diagnosed.  I recently changed from Femoston 2/10 to femseven sequi, and after much trial and error my VA has been fairly well managed by using Vagifem every other day, Sylk moisturiser and Actigel when required.  Unfortunately the Vagifem has not helped mu urinary problems and was changed to estriol cream 0.01% so this would also treat outside as well as internally.

After just one use of the cream I am having a terrible flare up of my VA, and don't know if this is a coincidence but as I go on holiday in 2 weeks am not willing to continue, and will switch back to Vagifem.  I just wondered if anyone else experienced this using the cream, also should start a 2 week reload with the Vagifem to try and get the flare up under control.  Any advice is appreciated, I had a flare up whilst I was on holiday last year and it definitely takes the edge off the enjoyment, I also become pretty obsessed with trying to sort it out, and drive my husband mad  :'(

Tinkerbell

Re: Vaginal atrophy flare up
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »

Do a two week reload of the Vagifem and up the maintenance dose, I need to use it every day.

Peripurple

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

I will, thanks tinkerbell

jessieblue

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »

Hi Emma, I have the same response to the creams!  I am not sure if its VA or thrush though so usually give up and use thrush tablet as well.  I tried oestridiol and ovestin with the same result.  2 weeks ago, I gave the ovestin another try, very tiny amount put around the outside along with some canesten in case of thrush and I put it gently around the urethra, as I have mainly bladder issues and UTIs.  I immediately felt a burning up into the urethra and over the next few days developed what looked like a uti with lots white cells but no bacteria on culture.  I still think it was related to the ovestin.  Previously I have had bright red scarlett coloured labia and vagina from using not even the full dose.  Again not sure if inflammation or thrush but usually I treat for thrush.  Now I started with Oestrogel systemically instead and after a week of only a small dose and applying around the top of my thighgs I have a really bad flare up of thrush/VA?inflammation....idk what the hell it is but it really hurts.  I sympathise with you because it is not something you can ignore.  Its life changeing to have all these issues and since developing this stuff I can barely go out due to worry and depression about it.  Men dont really understand.  I wonder how they would feel if it was their privates that were on fire all the time.  I hope the vagifem works for you, I am too scared to try mine!  Have a great holiday too. xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »

Jessie....my named GP, I now avoid him and see a more sympathetic GP, wouldn't  let me have have anymore Vagifem for three months as he said I had exceeded my quota! I told him that perhaps he could imagine he had sunburnt his testicles and maybe he could begin to imagine what VA felt like.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »

I couldn't use the local oestrogen creams - they made me burn horribly - I think it's the filler so the cream.

Emmapurple - in your place I would just use Vagifen more often. Sadly once the bladder stops working so well, I don't think anything will bring it back to what it was before meno but Vagifem can stop things getting worse.
Avoid all irritants like caffiene, fruit juices and alcohol. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »

Some are sensitive to the fillers or packaging of these products.  There should be a yellow card system to fill in but I've never been offered one  ::).

Don't use a thrush capsule unless you have thrush!  It can cause more problems [it made me burn which meant an hour in a cool bath!] and you won't know what is working. It can be diagnosed by knowledge, i.e. I know if I have it as I itch very high up  :o, constantly; and a swab can confirm.  Thrush thrives on sugars and lives in the back passage so toilet hygiene is essential otherwise it gets passed into the vaginal area .......... Who Designed Ladies Thus  :beat:

Some ladies require VA treatment nightly as it is a lower dose than years ago.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »

:lol:    :madeyes:     :rofl:   and offer him this one Tinkerbell:  :bbq:

Peripurple

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, it just helps to know you are not the only one experiencing this.  I am going to speak to my gp about using the Vagifem daily, I don't think I can bring myself to try the cream again.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »

Do you have any in-date Vagifem to hand, if so, use it now and another dose at bed time, after about 6-7 hours. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »

Re the 'thrush' comments, I have just read an article the said women on HRT are more prone to thrush. Perhaps you have this as well as VA?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:15:09 PM »

Wonder why as thrush thrives on sugars ....... when it gets cooler, can you tell us more?

Shadyglade

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

It's on the BBC news website under health.
Chronic virginal thrush 'like torture'. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:04:29 PM by Shadyglade »

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

Think so.
Pages: [1] 2