Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thickness of uterus lining when scanned  (Read 1110 times)

Sunnydays

Thickness of uterus lining when scanned
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »

Hi, for those of you who have scans, I'd be interested to know the thickness of your uterus lining. I had mine done a couple of months ago and it was 6mm. This was only a few days after the bleed. The year before it was 5mm and the year before that 4.5mm. These were also a few days after a bleed.
There seems to be an increasing trend. Would be interested to know what other measurements are out there! Thank you

Mary G

Re: Thickness of uterus lining when scanned
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »

Sunnydays, mine is 2mm immediately post bleed.   Don't worry about your measurement being higher, everyone has a different natural base level and a former member who I am in touch with never goes below 6mm regardless of how much progesterone she takes.   She has one of the best gynaecologists in the UK and he said it's not just about the actual measurement, he looks out for dark patches and various other features.

By the way, it builds up quickly post bleed so even a few days makes quite a difference.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »

Hi Sunnydays - only just seen this as have been away.

Mine has varied between about 4.5 mm and 7.5 mm depending on when in the cycle it was measured. Last scan I had done privately a few weeks ago it was 7.5 mm - and this was only about 4 days after the bleed and about 10 days after the last progesterone. Although the doc said no further action it was a bit worrying since I then go for another 3-5 weeks on oestrogen only. I would say mine may be on an increasing trend and anyone on a non-licensed HRT regime (ie longer cycle or shorter duration prog or lower dose prog) should be vigilant . However the first indication of a problem would be unscheduled bleeding ie at the wrong time - or very heavy bleeding - or indeed any bleeding that you are worried about!

You are right to be cautious and concerned - but provided you are having scans then any issues - eg irregularities - would be picked up even in the absence of abnormal bleeding. My (NHS) GP has suggested I have a course of norethisterone for one cycle per annum just to make sure the lining is shed completely (since NHS do not fund regular monitoring scans in the absence of abnormal bleeding). I've only managed this twice in the past 5 years but intend to take it next cycle as the lining was thicker than I would like it to be, and don't want to go onto a shorter cycle!

Mary G - I would suggest your very low result of 2 mm is unusual and at the extreme low end of the scale - especially if you are on a high dose of oestrogen and very short/low dose progesterone regime.  How often do you have it measured and has it been like this on every occasion?

Sunnydays - did you have a TVS as well to look at the lining or just the U/S one to measure thickness. The one I had did both which is probably best, just to make sure all is well!

Hurdity x

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »

Thank you both for replies.
I had a trans vaginal scan - this is the only one they do and it costs  £260! 
Everything looked fine otherwise, as Mary G says no dark patches etc.
It is a increasing trend though and I think what alarmed me a bit was 2 things: I noticed the tiniest bit of spotting (could easily have missed it) in 2 consecutive months just prior to starting the progestierone part. Plus the bleeding started before the end of the progesterone part.
I made enquiries to both Dr Currie and the women's health website and understandably they said at over 55 continuous Hrt is best! With this in mind  I switched to femaston conti. Only had it for 2 weeks and I didn't feel right (I also switched as I thought provera might be causing hair loss)
Anyway estradot patch went back on after 2 weeks. Feel myself ( well more myself, however that is!) and I've decoded to opt for low dose provera continuously and will see how I get in. Th build up of progesterone may be too much after a while - we'll see.
So I have digressed a bit but as with everything with the darned meno, we all have different things - even the lining of our uterus!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »

Gosh that's expensive! I had mine done by Ultrasound Direct and it was much cheaper and included pelvic scan too ( cheaper than the post-menopausal one because that included a blood test for ovarian cancer and I didn't want that). The much cheaper uterus scans are for pre-menopausal women.

Yes that is generally accpeted - re the continuous combined HRT - it definitely reduces and minimises the risk of endometrial cancer. However continuous progestogens especially synthetic ones may be linked to increased risk fo breast cancer although the information is not clear-cut. Some gynaes prefer the no-bleed approach because of the endometrium, whereas others prefer to limit the progestogen exposure - because of the breast. If you are progesterone intolerant to any extent at all then continuous progestogen is out of the question anyway.

It's your thread so you can digress as much as you like without offending anyone else!! Hope you get on OK with your new regime and perhaps you can update us when you've had time to adjust?

Hurdity x