Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Between the devil and the deep blue sea  (Read 1356 times)

Sunnydays

Between the devil and the deep blue sea
« on: July 31, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »

Which is worse? Oestrogen in tablet format or progesterone that is more testosterone based? The former gives higher risk of blood clots because it passes through the liver or the latter because research shows they can increase the risk of breast cancer whilst taking hrt?
I would like to have oestrogen in a patch and one of the least testosterone  based progesterones  (the one in Femoston) in a separate tablet. Actually, ideally I would like them to be mixed together in a patch like Evorel and Femseven but no such luck!
So I keep asking myself which is the lower risk - Hrt in a combined tablet form, or a patch but with  a progesterone tablet alongside that isn't as less testosterone based as I would like! Something for me to decide I know. I don't get on with utrogestan and I don't like the feeling of oestrogen going through my liver!

Emerald2017

Re: Between the devil and the deep blue sea
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »

I have read that if you are under 50 there are no more risks independently from the type and the dose of hrt, so I think that you worry so much about.
I chose my hrt based on my experience with it and how affects my symptoms.

foldie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »

Hello Sunnydays,

today I changed my hrt from Evrovel Sequi 50 to Estradot 37.5 (patch) and a kinder progesterone in pill form. I have yet to see the impact but like you I was twirling with similar doubts but as The progesterone in Evrovel does not suit me, and I didn't want to take a pure tablet combination, I think this is a good compromise.If this combination does not work I will try Utrogestan and take it internally.

With this combination there is a double prescription charge but compared to wanting to tussle strangers and being assailed by dark thoughts, worth it.

I hope this helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »

Sunnydays - unfortunately the progesterone in Femoston (Dydrogesterone) does not come on it's own in tablet or patch form - I don't understand why, as it used to be available, and it's one of the kinder progesterones so very good to use!!!
You could have oestrogen in patch form (Estrodot seems to be the best as it's small) and then use Utrogestan or Provera for the progesterone (Utrogestan is body identical and is deemed very breast friendly and Provera is less testosterone based). If you stick with a sequential regime - so use one of these progesterones fro 12 days each month - this would give a monthly bleed but minimum side effects.  Some women like Utrogestan whilst others prefer Provera - we are all different so what suits one won't suit another. Utrogestan can be used vaginally is you wish.

The other very easy, non bleed, option is to have a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen as patches alongside.
DG x

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »

Snap foldie! I have just tried 2 weeks of femaston conti and it made me feel strange (psychological I'm sure) so I reverted to 37.5 patch estradot and Provera tablet. This time however I'm taking 2.5 provera daily rather than sequentially and will see how it goes. I too couldn't take Evorel after a while.