Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Started Evorel Conti yesterday - now have rash and swollen face - help  (Read 4579 times)

Miabella

Hi everyone,

Saw GP yesterday and we agreed I should try HRT. She prescribed Evorel Conti patches and I put one on mid afternoon yesterday.

I thought I felt a bit itchy when going to bed last night but didn't think much of it. Now I've woken up and my entire upper body is covered in angry red blotches. I've never had anything like this before and can only think it must be related to the HRT. The rash is worst around my bra area and it basically is on the part of me that gets hot when I'm having a flash or a night sweat.

Has anyone else experienced this with HRT? Don't know whether to wait and see if it dies down or to take off the patch now. My GP only works Wednesdays and Thursdays so can't see her now until next week. It

Any advice welcome

Xx
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:57:44 AM by Miabella »

Dierdre

Rash is on the list of side effects but could also be an allergic reaction. Can you speak to NHS helpline or  a pharmacist who could advise. If it gets worse I would take off the patch to see if it isettles.

Miabella

Thanks Deirdre. called NHS 24 who referred me to A&E. Just back from there with antihistamines and steroids. They're assuming I've had an allergic reaction to HRT. So I will need to go back to GP and discuss trying a different one.
My main menopause symptom is anxiety which this episode obviously hasn't helped.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:14:01 AM by Miabella »

Dotty

Sorry to hear that Miabella.

Ask to try a separate oestrogen and progesterone so you can find out which one you are allergic to.  Oestrogel and Utrogestan would be a good idea.

I would think it’s probably the norethisterone causing the problem. X

Miabella

Really appreciate that advice Dotty. I see GP next week so suggest that as an option x

Dotty

Have you ever taken a contraceptive pill with norethisterone in it?

Miabella

Not that I'm aware of. I doubt it as haven't used the pill for years

Dotty

Just wondered if you'd had a reaction to it before.  You could also try Femoston Conti or Femseven Conti patches as they have a different progesterone.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:22:33 AM by Dotty »

Miabella

Hi,
I seem to have a strong constitution when it comes to meds and never seem to suffer any reactions or side effects so this has shaken me up.
Also just disappointed that I'm now back to the drawing board as regards finding something that will help me. Already had to delay starting HRT as was going on holiday, now need to wait almost a week to see GP again.
I know it's trial and error with HRT, I just hoped I'd be one of the lucky ones that found the right one first go.

Dotty

It's worth it when you find one that works.

Miabella

I know. Naive of me to think the first one would work.

Dotty

Some ladies are very lucky and find one straightaway and have very quick results.  Remember that on these forums you are likely to only hear the horror stories and that there are thousands of women happily taking hrt who we never hear about.  You will get there xx

Saffy

Miabella, you might just be having an allergic reaction to the adhesive in the patch rather than the hormones themselves. I had a localised rash to Evorel but also head to toe itching (with no rash). However I have had no problems with Estradot patches or Oestrogel. Don't despair yet!

Miabella

Thanks Saffy,

No it hasn't put me off trying another HRT. I might try to avoid patches though!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Could be a reaction to the glue or the patch itself rather than the active ingredient.  Maybe speak to a Pharmacist?

[Take it that you are home?]
Pages: [1] 2