Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: London in the heat  (Read 1958 times)

dulciana

London in the heat
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »

I'm going to be down in London next week, on a course.  While I'm looking forward to the course, I'm absolutely dreading the hot weather. I'm a cold-weather mortal at the best of times and I hate heatwaves.  I'm dreading the heat on the underground and the crowds of people; I'm also worried about possibly having to walk through the streets in the baking sun.  It's an organ course that I'll be on, so at least we'll be using potentially nice, cool church buildings.   What's really concerning me, though, is that I'm having tests for asthma two weeks after I get back.  I've been given an inhaler, which I'll use of course, and I know to carry water around with me at all times.  But I'm particularly worried about getting breathless because of being hot and anxious in the heat and crowds on the underground, possibly alone, although there will be times when I'll be with other people from the course.   Am I being over-concerned about this?   Can anybody empathise or share some words of advice? 
 :thankyou: in anticipation.

Joaniepat

Re: London in the heat
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »

Are you of Bus Pass age? They are better when it is like this, as the underground can be stifling.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »

I thought you were going to GOOGLE maps the distances between venues and walk? 

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »

Allow plenty of time. Stay on the shady side of the street. Freeze drinks if you can. Buses are good so get an oyster card.

JaneL

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »

Agree you're better off avoiding the underground unless you enjoy close human proximity in hot conditions and rich odours.

Depending on route and time of day, there are a lot of parks and shaded streets in London, which would also help with the pollution aspects if you were OK walking.

I do not enjoy this heat or close human proximity in hot conditions, so much empathy anyway.

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »

There's no problem, Hasty :) If any of the distances are not much, I can walk with someone.   
Joaniepat, I'm not quite at bus-pass age (seven months to go!) but I wouldn't mind paying bus fares.
Thanks for the empathy, Janet.
Shadyglade - oystercard - good idea.  And thanks for the other advice.

Yes, maybe I should avoid the underground.  I've just remembered that we've also been told it's not too expensive to get a taxi as a group, so that's a possibility too.  I might also take my umbrella, and use it as a parasol, Japanese-style! 

Thanks folks.   :thankyou:  Dulciana x

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:27:25 AM by dulciana »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »

Maybe find out what taxi costs might be?  Go into a Tourist Office and ask them or contact one in London directly?

I'm ignoring you Hasty  :-\ :'(

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »

Don't take risks with asthma dulciana it can hit very suddenly so treat yourself and make it an enjoyable day by getting taxis,I'm sure someone will share and split the costs.I hope you have a fab day enjoy 😘/ Jeanie

It's actually nearly a week, Jeaniewigs, but I take on board what you're saying.   I'd be more than happy to take taxis;  I'm just not sure how many I could afford over the time.  Got some thinking to do, I think! 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:03:35 PM by dulciana »

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 02:03:00 PM »

Maybe find out what taxi costs might be?  Go into a Tourist Office and ask them or contact one in London directly?

I'm ignoring you Hasty  :-\ :'(

Good idea, CLKD!  Thanks.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »

If you are going on the underground avoid rush hour and lunchtime, I have been nose to nose on them before at peak times.
Are you on a preventative inhaler as well? The air quality is not good round where I live on an edge of a town in the south, I dread to think what London is like at the moment.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »

Accepted Hasty

I haven't been to the Capital for over 25 years ........ postcards please dulciana  ;D

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »

Just don't put yourself at risk dulciana,your in bonnie Scotland aren't you?,we,re too fair to cope in these heats we,re just not used to it,now snow and ice that's another story lol.
Just use your judgement and do taxis as and when you can and enjoy your time there,I'm only a short distance away but never go I couldn't cope with the pace,one day though lol.enjoy yourself 😘

I won't, Jeaniewigs.  I am in Scotland, yes, and although I'm not fair, I'm far more used to snow and ice than boiling heat!