Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeds on Femoston  (Read 4700 times)

Littlevicdon

• First Flush
Heavy bleeds on Femoston
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:26:13 AM »

I am 52 and was getting irregular periods associated with menopause symptoms. I was started on Femoston 1/10 which I later increased to 2/10 after my second packet as some of my symptoms did not resolve. Due to start my 4th packets shortly and do feel so much better on them. The thing I do not like though is the heavy bleed I get about 4 days before a new packet and can last for about 6 days (my periods before lasted for about 4 days). I know this is shedding of my lining to protect it but it is VERY heavy and I was told that I would get lighter periods but this is not the case. I don't tend now to get period pains which is good and I don't really want more medications as I have Crohn's and already take medication for this.
I finally feel great on my HRT but don't really want to bleed so heavily as it is interfering with my daily life when it happens as my periods were becoming lighter before I started HRT thereforecan the bleeding eventually become lighter and shorter?

Dancinggirl

Re: Heavy bleeds on Femoston
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »

Sadly some women do get heavy bleeds - there could be fibroids or polyps but if your lining has build up significantly (you are on the higher dose) then you may need to have this bleed. If you want less bleeding, then having the Mirena fitted usually results in no bleeding at all in time. 

Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.

DG x

Dollydream

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »

Hi there
I was exactly like you when I took Femoston 1/10.  I hated the heavy bleeds - they were so much worse than periods and I was really disappointed as most people seemed to have little or no bleeding.  Maybe have a chat with your GP at your 6 month review and see if there are any HRT alternatives, the mirena with oestrogel may suit you. x

pepperminty

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »

Hi, sometimes it is a balancing act of what side effect you can live with if your quality of life has generally improved. If the bleeds are really heavy the your GP may be able to help, with a scan etc.

Peperminty