Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Transfering Oestrogel to other family members  (Read 2861 times)

Emma.perry

Transfering Oestrogel to other family members
« on: July 22, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this group and am about to start using HRT (Oestrogel and Utrogestan). I'm nearly 47 and have been having hot flushes day and night on and off for a year and have erratic periods. I'm a bit nervous about starting the treatment because of the published risks and side efffects and have been doing lots of reading about it. One worry is that I might transfer the gel to other members of my family.  Might it be transferred by bed sheets? The sheet says it's supposed to be OK after a couple of hours but I'm worried it might not be as simple as that. Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Transfering Oestrogel to other family members
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »

:welcomemm:

Any health scares have been discounted.  It was due to badly reported trials many years ago.

Put the names of the products into the 'search' box to see what pops up?  Am sure that someone with HRT knowledge will be along.  There is a small possibility that the gel can be transferred to children, babies, cats but it is in the main, un-likely.  Depends when you apply it, I believe that the inner thigh is favoured.

Bworse round!

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »

Perhaps it is best to apply the Oestrogel in the mornings if you want to avoid transferring it to others. It takes about 15 minutes to dry on the skin. You can apply to inner mid thigh or shoulder and outer arm, but if you are concerned about transference perhaps the thigh route would be best. There is no risk after a couple of hours, as all the oestrogen will have been absorbed through your skin. I think maximum absorption takes place as the gel evaporates, but someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck with the treatment, I hope it works well for you.

JP x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »

Hi  Apply it in the morning and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:28:01 PM by Dotty »

Emma.perry

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. Also wondering whether most people's experience of Utrogestan is nausea and tiredness? Or do some people feel OK on it?

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

Did you have nausea and tiredness before starting the Oestrogel ?

Oestrogen is not usually associated with tiredness. Lack of oestrogen causes tiredness.

Nausea can be a side effect.

Lanzalover

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »

Hi Emap

:welcomemm:

I didn't have the nausea but always felt tired and groggy when I used Utrogestan.

Lanzalover x

Emma.perry

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »

Did that put you off taking it? I haven't been brave enough to start taking it yet - I just picked it up from the chemist yesterday. I've noticed quite a few people posting about being tired and nauseous from taking the Uterogestan (progesterone) so wanted to know how common this is?

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »

Don't read too many horror stories. Remember there are thousands of women taking the combination of Oestrogel and Utrogestan but they don't come on these forums to tell everyone how good they feel.

I use both Oestrogel and Utrogestan and I have no side effects at all. Give it a try as it could transform your life.

Lanzalover

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

Hi Emap

That was just one of many reasons I stopped.
However lots of women use it so I would give it try you may find its ok for you and if it's not you can always try a different one although most progesterones give some sort of side effects it's just a case of finding the one which gives the least for you.
I assume as your not yet post meno you are not taking it every day so that is bonus.

Lanzalover x

Emma.perry

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »

I've been told to take 100mg every day even though my periods are erratic rather than having stopped altogether. The last one was May.

Lanzalover

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 05:45:52 AM »

Good morning Emap

If you are not post meno ie no period for 12 months you shouldn't be taking Utrogestan every day.
Unless you have been given a specific reason why by a GP or consultant.
In peri meno you should be using 2 x 100 daily at bedtime for 12 days per 28 days ( 15 to 26 inclusive)
If you go to the top of the page the green bar shows treatments if you go into this and select HRT preparations and then select for peri menopause you will get a list of all the various treatment options and doseage.

Hope this helps
Lanzalover x

Jeaniewigs

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »

Great post LL 😘

Emma.perry

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »

Thank you for that post. I'll query it with the doctor. Emma