Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Utrogestan -pharmacist says not to use vaginally  (Read 4053 times)

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan -pharmacist says not to use vaginally
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »

Just to clarify - there is no Utrogestan pessary as such. The 200 mg dose is a vaginal capsule which is exactly the same as the 200 mg capsule which used to be available for HRT (heaven only knows why this is not available any more since all it needs is a different packet and a different leaflet!) and is exactly the same (but double the dose/szie)as the 100 mg capsule now available for HRT. They all contain exactly the same ingredients. The info re licesned use is as you other members have said. Some women who take 200 mg for HRT get prescribed the vaginal 200 mg because it's easier to stick up one medium capsule than 2 x 100 mg teeny tiny balls which are a right pain!

You can't cut them in half because the capsule encloses a suspension of micronised progesterone in oil ie a liquid.

I am just baffled.Who takes 200mg Utrogestan

I do! I am on long cycle HRT and take 200 mg vaginally for 12 days every 6-8 weeks. Incidentally even if you use vaginally rather than orally the (French) leaflet does not indicate only to use half the dosage, but the same dose as oral use. This (half the dose) is very much off licence based on a limited amount of research - and needs to be supervised by your doc  - especially if you are taking larger doses of oestrogen which will require correspondingly larger doses of prog to protect/shed the lining.

There are progesterone pessaries - called Cyclogest which has been available for many years (again for fertility treament)- but again bafflingly these are not licensed for HRT although my GP prescribed me these when I first started HRT as utrogestan was not invented then (not for HRT anyway)! These come as 200 or 400 mg but I think you need slightly higher doses of these as more gets lost (oozing out) than with utrog I think?

I totally agree that it is about time Utrogestan was licensed that way here (vaginally) - but if used at the licensed dose but vaginally rather than orally then this is absolutely fine and needs no more medical supervision than oral use in terms of endometrial protection and monitoring.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]