Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: MLE4901: Non-hormonal alternative to HRT  (Read 1360 times)

AndieKC

MLE4901: Non-hormonal alternative to HRT
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has been in this new drug's clinical trial, or knows more about the next stage?

My understanding is that it is non-hormonal, it blocks NK3 receptors (in the brain I think), it reduces hot flushes by 75%, and within 3 days. The first stage of trials involved a small amount of women with 7 or more hot flushes a day ( I had more than that in an hour, every hour, day and night!). The next stage will involve more participants, and I am thinking of getting myself on the list.

Apparently although conventional hormonal HRT helps with the symptoms very well, (it did for me), hormonal HRT actually does not address "the underlying hormonal dysregulation associated with vasomotor symptoms", in other words, the hypothalamus going mad in the absence of oestrogen, and leading to hot flushes, cold shivers etc.

Dr. Julia Prague is the first author of the study, and the study is conducted by Prof. Waljit S. Dhillo, Ph.D. at Imperial College London. The link below is directly to Millendo Therapeutics, the company developing the drug, where it explains quite well how it works

http://www.millendo.com/our-programs/mle4901.php

Hope on the horizon?  :)

AndieKC xx

Conolly

Re: MLE4901: Non-hormonal alternative to HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »

Hello AndieKC,

Thank you for the link. Off to read it.

Conolly X

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

Andie, I actually just missed being included in the trials for this. 😄

There was recruitment here in Scotland about 18 months ago, but due to other emerging health issues I was unable to take part.

It was originally a drug developed as a possible treatment for schizophrenia, but was shelved as it did not fulfil this application. xxxx

AndieKC

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »

Thank you ladies, for your posts, I'll be keeping my eye on this one, we need all the help we can get.... if they want to target my whatever receptors, they're welcome to, anything to stop hot flushes and the rest
Keep well all of you xx

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »

Andie, there is certainly some interesting research going on at the moment! Hopefully this will bring about more novel treatments.  :) xxxx