Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil Goal Post Have Changed  (Read 1736 times)

Infinity9

Mirena Coil Goal Post Have Changed
« on: July 06, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »

I've just been for my smear test and to discuss HRT with the Doctor. If I want to go on Estrogen patches, I will need the coil changed.

It was due to be changed in 2019. I had it fitted in 2012 and I thought that seven years was a long time.

I was amazed when the Doctor told me that now, after the age of 45, you can now have it in place for 10 years. That seems an awfully long time to expect the coil to do what it's supposed to do. Wow!

Hurdity

Re: Mirena Coil Goal Post Have Changed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »

It has to be changed after 4 years if used to provide the progestogen part ofHhRT. If used as contraception the time may well be different. It was 5 years - and the information on the web still gives these same time lengths: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1132/smpc

"Mirena is effective for 5 years in the indications for contraception and idiopathic menorrhagia so should be removed after 5 years use. If the user wishes to continue using the same method, a new system can be inserted at the same time, in which case no additional protection is required."

"In the indication for protection from endometrial hyperplasia during oestrogen replacement therapy, clinical data (from clinical trials conducted in women of 18 years and over) beyond 4 years of use are limited. Mirena should therefore be removed after 4 years."

This info was updated in March 2018.

However Patient info says this:
https://patient.info/doctor/intrauterine-system-pro

Duration of action[1, 6]

The Mirena® IUS is licensed for contraceptive use for a period of five years from insertion
    The Mirena® IUS is also licensed for five years for idiopathic menorrhagia and for four years to provide endometrial protection
    Randomised controlled trials (RCTs) suggest that it provides contraceptive protection for up to seven years
    The Clinical Effectiveness Unit (CEU) has recommended a seven-year duration of use for women aged 45 years or over at the time of insertion.

This confirms the 4 years licensed for endometrial protection for HRT (but suggests 7 years - not 10) if over 45 and wanting to use it for contraception presumably due to reduced fertility in women of this age group.

Unless there is other more up to date info elsewhere - your doc needs to get up to speed with the difference between its use for contraception and  as part of HRT.

I would get a new one (Mirena not doc - or maybe that too!!)

Hurdity x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »

I wouldn't want to chance it for contraception and would get it changed, I know of someone who got pregnant at 51!

Infinity9

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »

It has to be changed after 4 years if used to provide the progestogen part ofHhRT. If used as contraception the time may well be different. It was 5 years - and the information on the web still gives these same time lengths: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1132/smpc

"Mirena is effective for 5 years in the indications for contraception and idiopathic menorrhagia so should be removed after 5 years use. If the user wishes to continue using the same method, a new system can be inserted at the same time, in which case no additional protection is required."

"In the indication for protection from endometrial hyperplasia during oestrogen replacement therapy, clinical data (from clinical trials conducted in women of 18 years and over) beyond 4 years of use are limited. Mirena should therefore be removed after 4 years."

This info was updated in March 2018.

However Patient info says this:
https://patient.info/doctor/intrauterine-system-pro

Duration of action[1, 6]

The Mirena® IUS is licensed for contraceptive use for a period of five years from insertion
    The Mirena® IUS is also licensed for five years for idiopathic menorrhagia and for four years to provide endometrial protection
    Randomised controlled trials (RCTs) suggest that it provides contraceptive protection for up to seven years
    The Clinical Effectiveness Unit (CEU) has recommended a seven-year duration of use for women aged 45 years or over at the time of insertion.

This confirms the 4 years licensed for endometrial protection for HRT (but suggests 7 years - not 10) if over 45 and wanting to use it for contraception presumably due to reduced fertility in women of this age group.

Unless there is other more up to date info elsewhere - your doc needs to get up to speed with the difference between its use for contraception and  as part of HRT.

I would get a new one (Mirena not doc - or maybe that too!!)

Hurdity x

Thanks for the information Hurdity. The doctor said it had recently changed but for me, a Mirena couldn't surely do it's job after so many years efficiently or to it's full capacity of protection, etc. I have idiopathic menorrhagia and that's why it was inserted. It's work tremendously for me, (nothing less than amazing to be honest with you), but according to your information here, it should have already been changed.

The doctor told me it would have to be replaced if I decide to go on the Estrogen HRT but it can be left for the 10 years if I don't. I am very confused and surprised. I think I'll have to have another chat with the doctor or someone at our surgery. I appreciate this xx.

Infinity9

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »

I wouldn't want to chance it for contraception and would get it changed, I know of someone who got pregnant at 51!

It seems that the coil should be replaced for contraception and idiopathic menorrhagia which is what I have. As I said to Hurdity, Tinkerbell, I think I need to have another chat at our surgery. Thank you xx.