Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Are You SURE It's All The Menopause?  (Read 14972 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Are You SURE It's All The Menopause?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »

From what I have read there is a big genetic component to osteoporosis and it should be rembered that some men also suffer.  And then there is the importance of good diet and nutrition.

Tempest

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »

Bless you, Kathleen. I know yours has been a tough ride - I was just reading your other reply about how you had high hopes after stopping the Tibolone. I really do keep my fingers crossed for you!

You are absolutely right, Shadyglade - this is what I was told by the Prof's team. I had a DEXA scan over a year ago now and had no bone loss - I was told that if I continue to use weight bearing exercise and diet modifications and ensured adequate vitamin D (especially as I'm in Scotland) that this should be sufficient in my own personal case.

It's also a good idea for anyone to check with their GP to see if any other medications that they take may possibly effect bone loss. Some antidepressants have this as a warning, for example. In this case, further supplementation might be warranted if the medication is needed long term. xxxx

Shadyglade

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »

It's unfortunate that it's in your family Stellajane. Have you been tested?

Tempest

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »

That's very true, Stellajane.I noted that the wording in the Journal Of Ageing that I quoted a while ago on the forum states that regulators do not recommend ERT for osteoporosis prevention alone, but then of course there are the high risk categories. This can of course include those with genetic risk, as well as those who have had significant eating disorders amongst other causes.

To maintain bone in these individuals at menopause, I have seen quoted that a minimum dosage of 25mcg patch 2 x weekly or 0.3 conjugated equine estrogens daily PLUS adequate calcium and vitamin D supplementation could be helpful.

And of course, anyone who feels they may be in this category should see their GP about having their FRAX score calculated to see how to further proceed. If you don't mind me asking Stellajane, have you been offered this assessment by your GP?

Just parking the NHS recommendations from NHS Choices re: osteoporosis prevention here:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/menopause-and-your-bone-health/

xxxx
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:01:41 PM by Tempest »

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »

That's bad. In the long run it costs the NHS more money.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »

My Dad was on a study for osteoporosis in men ......... don't know any details as I had left there by then so it was a passing comment at a time when osteoporosis meant not a lot to me  ::).  Being the age I am exercise was the way we got about as soon as we walked, because Dad had the car and Mum didn't, so we walked or cycled everywhere.  Lots of running in the garden, playing on the beach, wading in the sea - we were outside as much as possible and for ever active. 

Connolly - we've had this 'conversation' B4 - without ADs and Anti-anxiety meds I wouldn't be here.  My anxiety was instigated within hours of my being born.  I had my first panic attack aged 3.  Anorexic by age 5.  No amount of CBT - which didn't appear in the NHS until the mid-1980s - did anything to alter my mind set.  I think for it to be of benefit it needs to be available immediately after an event, again, the NHS lacks the funds to provide this service - there's a waiting list in our area of 22 months  :o: I rang the Dept. after reading your suggestions. 

Why would I want to alter my Life-style when I was ill, I also had breast treatment and a change of diet was suggested by 'friends'?  Other than the two illnesses my Life was good: job I enjoyed, was driving everywhere and anywhere, loving husband, both of us otherwise healthy: [still are] : good GP and Dentist  :-*.  There wasn't anything that I could change.  In the 1990s I had intermittent talking therapy for 2/3 years to get rid of any anger: discuss, decide, ditch : which helped me get rid of frustrations.  I can't even remember what those frustrations were  ::).

Regardless of genetics I feel that symptoms ladies present with in Surgery should be listened to and understood by GPs of which there is still a hug lack across the UK.  My Company paid for DEXA scans but it was of both feet and ankles - the deepest bone apparently in the pelvis  ::) and I was advised by the visiting Company providing the scans to alter my diet.  However, when going through my diet, there wasn't anything to change  ::).

Wilks

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »

Shadyglade, I was angry because: 1. controversial opinions are intended to provoke people, no matter how much sugar coating is used, 2. I was misquoted, and 3. I had a mental health crisis at the end of last week.

Shadyglade

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »

I'm really sorry about your problems Wilks but I would say there is difference between contraversal and alternative.  Also can't see where the provocation was or the miss quoting. Are you talking about a different thread?

Again sorry if you were upset.

Tempest

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »

I meant no provocation Wilks, nor did I misquote you.

Can I offer some very well meaning advice? Please know that this DOES come from the heart. As I mentioned before, a very close friend of mine is bipolar 2 and has had a very tough few years. As part of her self care strategies, she finds that when in crisis she must step away from social media temporarily as any stimulation at all (good or bad) means that it is more difficult for her to stabilise. I think this strategy might help you, just temporarily. It is always nice to see your posts here, but you must take care of your mental health especially when in crisis (I know I probably don't need to tell you this)!

I am very concerned that you have so recently experienced a crisis, and I in no way mean this is a patronising way. Just wanting to help and to show some understanding.

Please do take care. xxxx

Wilks

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »

Thanks for your concern. My opinion would remain the same (though I may have been less angry) if I was feeling ok.

I do feel the post is controversial because it insinuates that those of us who choose to take HRT are misguided, don't really understand what anxiety is, and/or are taking it because of anti-aging societal/media comment.

The post is also controversial since it suggests that because menopause is an expected biological event we should just accept it and a healthy lifestyle is pretty much all we need to get us through.

I'm just about getting over the shock and fury I felt when menopause completely trashed my mind and body to the point where life was literally not worth living. I've said this before but I have done decades of sports and healthy eating, I don't drink or smoke, I've had brilliant psychological therapy and yet the menopause almost destroyed me until I got HRT so I do not accept that a healthy lifestyle alone will get me through the menopause.

Finally, I disagree that it's a transition. I've started a thread about that and no one convinced me that it was a transition (except with regard to vasomotor symptoms and mood swings).

Life is very short and very precious and at the age of 49 I'm not about to hand in my resignation.

Conolly

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 12:21:09 AM »

Hello again,

Some women don't want HRT, others do but can't cope with side effects, others find the optimal regimen and others can't take it because it poses high risk for previous health issues.

I don't understand why this is controversial. It's a personal decision based on individual differences.

What may be considered controversial is the way that menopausal women are treated by the medical professionals, the health care systems, the pharmaceutical companies and the drug market, not to mention the ordinary people uneducated on the subject.

We're the victims, ladies. If we don't fight for our lives, no one else will. That doesn't mean we have to fight against each other. There's plenty work to be done.

Different experiences regarding HRT or other therapeutic approach are welcome, there's nothing definitive about the best possible management of menopause. Yet. Amen.

Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »

I like that Conolly.   My Mum can't remember her menopause and I had left there by then so it had no impact on me, other than her suddenly sitting down and dropping off to sleep.  My sister apparently has 'been through all that'  ::).  It is the medical profession that is behind, often stuck in their ways of 'we know best' and not taking heed of what patients tell them.  This happens in other specialities too. 

Wilks

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »

I used to have frequent migraine but I didn't want to take prophylactic meds because of the side effects. I have also refused antidepressants at times, again because of side effects.

However, I don't go suggesting to people who do take either of those types of meds that they probably don't understand their own bodies or that they haven't given any thought to why they're taking those meds, or that they could manage those conditions through healthy lifestyle alone.

We will just have to agree to disagree- you don't think it's a controversial post but I do!

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »

Nothing on here is meant to be controversial.  The written word can be static.  I have no choice in what I take, I am sure it's the same with ladies who choose HRT.  Give it a whirl and see if it's beneficial enough to continue with.  We have mentioned here B4 that those who don't have problems with symptoms aren't likely to post here so we don't always get a balanced view point.

I have learned too to stick with what I know.  It took years to find an AD that didn't make me feel ill so I try not to chop and change.

Wilks

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »

Exactly CLKD- most of those women who aren't experiencing problems with menopause are not on this forum, so I would argue that this forum is not the audience for an anti-hrt campaign.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6