Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Are You SURE It's All The Menopause?  (Read 14964 times)

Tempest

Re: Are You SURE It's All The Menopause?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »

This is not an anti HRT campaign - and this forum IS called MENOPAUSE Matters - which means all menopause. Those that sail through, those that suffer badly, those that can take HRT and those that cannot.

CLKD, you are right that in the main we have women here who are struggling, but we also have some women who are doing not too badly, some who need advice and a bit of support with balancing hrt, VA issues or who just enjoy the company of the other threads that are a little more lighthearted and not menopause focused. And of course some who have struggled badly in the past, and are now doing better but enjoy the membership here.  :)

I think it is also very important to remember Wilks that we have women who are really struggling and who CAN'T take HRT. For this reason, we have to be sensitive about pushing HRT as the only possible solution. This can make women feel despairing, and I have personally witnessed a good few members who have left because they felt there was nothing here for them as they were unable to take HRT. Especially women who have had estrogen positive cancers.

This makes me very sad, as these are the very women who could do with support. xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »

If support was given by Consultants there wouldn't be a requirement for us to be here.  But it seems that GPs refer patients to Hospital and after what ever is necessary, the patient is referred back 'to the care of the GP'.  Maybe too soon in many cases when a Consultant should continue with follow up?

Share experiences.  Take what is appropriate at the moment in time.  Review, discuss, consider.  No query is silly and it doesn't matter what we talk about  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »

This is not an anti HRT campaign - and this forum IS called MENOPAUSE Matters - which means all menopause. Those that sail through, those that suffer badly, those that can take HRT and those that cannot.

CLKD, you are right that in the main we have women here who are struggling, but we also have some women who are doing not too badly, some who need advice and a bit of support with balancing hrt, VA issues or who just enjoy the company of the other threads that are a little more lighthearted and not menopause focused. And of course some who have struggled badly in the past, and are now doing better but enjoy the membership here.  :)

I think it is also very important to remember Wilks that we have women who are really struggling and who CAN'T take HRT. For this reason, we have to be sensitive about pushing HRT as the only possible solution. This can make women feel despairing, and I have personally witnessed a good few members who have left because they felt there was nothing here for them as they were unable to take HRT. Especially women who have had estrogen positive cancers.

This makes me very sad, as these are the very women who could do with support. xxxx

I'm really busy so haven't seen this thread (and just picking up on the last page as this is what has come up!)- but not sure where you get the idea about members "pushing HRT as the only possible solution" ..."Especially women who have had estrogen positive cancers"? I haven't really come across this - in fact from where I am, I see A LOT of sensitivity towards and advice for women who are unable to take HRT. I for one regularly post a link to a paper (have done so ever since it came out) summarising the current thinking about alternative prescribable treatments for menopausal symptoms and specifically but not exclusively aimed at women who are unable to take HRT due to breast cancer. Other members have posted about Clonidine ( also mentioned in the link ) etc and alternative herbal treatments - although the experience of other members and the research has tended to mean these latter tend not to be recommended. OK not all members post links to papers but I haven't come across the attitude you refer to at all - so perhaps you may have not read all the posts and threads where such support and help is given?

For anyone who hasn't seen this before (I've posted it quite a lot!) - here it is again: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »

Hello again,

I respect your opinion, Wilks. But that's what it is, an opinion. We all have opinions. That doesn't mean anything, really. The personal attacks have to stop, that's not healthy. We're here because we need help, for some it's about helping others, because they have found something that works for them and they want to share their positive or negative experiences. All experiences (and opinions) are welcome. Let's not confuse and confound them though. I wish you well, truly.  :peace:

Conolly X

Shadyglade

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »

women who aren't experiencing problems with menopause are not on this forum, so I would argue that this forum is not the audience for an anti-hrt campaign.

It's almost as if we are reading two different threads Wilks.  I don't read anything anti HRT here but just there are other alternatives.  Also if, like me, women choose not to go down the HRT route that does not mean they have not suffered.  I had a very long peri and was put on ADs when lack of sleep, due to night sweats, pushed me over a cliff.  I also suffered mood swings, anxiety, palpitations, light heads, aches and pains and in the last two years of peri, crushing fatigue with every period.   Oh, I forgot the flooding.  All that and I've come through and feel pretty good now thanks.

This thread is about choice.  Well, at least that is how I read it. 

Shadyglade
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:08:06 PM by Shadyglade »

Tempest

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

Thank you, Hurdity.

I didn't say 'members' pushing HRT,  I stated that we have to be SENSITIVE about pushing HRT. I realise that you have posted about alternatives but do know from past experiences with members that some HAVE left as they felt that the focus falls more heavily on HRT. I will not name names, but a good few of them were on the old thread I created 'The Road Less Travelled'. Perhaps you remember it. xxxx

Shadyglade

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »

I think 'sensitive' is a good word.  I can remember I nearly joined the forum some years ago, but was put off by what a read in a particular thread.  Someone was told that if she did not want HRT she was either 'not suffering enough' or was 'silly'.

Not sensitive. :(

Lisa1966

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »

I have asked myself this question many times,as I am able to sleep and flushes not too bad,although I do get chills after being hot. My problems are more mental problems,like anxiety, depression,mood swings,lack of energy and motivation,not wanting to go out,feeling of jelly legs and sometimes an inner nervousness,like today,so is it all menopause? I don't know,in fact I haven't got a clue xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 07:02:44 PM »

Hi Lisa, have you always had anxiety problems or has it got worse with the meno. I am beginning to think that if it's already part of your makeup then the meno will increase it.

Have you seen your GP.

Lisa1966

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »

Hi shadyglade,I have suffered with anxiety over the years,but this feels different somehow,I have seen lots of gps and am on medication,but I do think that menopause has made it much worse xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »

Ditto.

All I can say is that now post meno I am loads better.

Lisa1966

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »

Thanks shadyglade,that gives me some hope xx

Conolly

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 07:34:36 PM »

Hello Lisa and Shadyglade,

My own experience is that perimenopause is a dark place regarding anxiety. Things have calmed down now that I'm postmeno. The hormonal fluctuations seem to make things worse but I'm not sure they can cause anxiety. I have suffered alone and in silence (no HRT or AD's) and now I'm glad it's over (sort of). I'm not advocating that people shouldn't take meds... I'm just too scared to do it without understanding what's exactly going on, so I tried mindfulness and it was a blessing. Before that I thought mindfulness was bs and now I know it works when your brain needs a break and a brake.

Conolly X

Lisa1966

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

Conolly I'm glad to hear you are over the worst and that mindfulness has helped you through this horrific part of life,I just pray that there is light at the end of this very long dark tunnel xx

Tempest

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »

Conolly, love the phrase 'when your mind needs a break and a brake'. I'm stealing that! :) xxxx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6