Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thyroid Blood Test Results  (Read 1550 times)

Maxwin

Thyroid Blood Test Results
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »

Hello, brief history had sub partial thyroidectomy 38 years ago (now nearly 59).  Did'nt need any drugs after etc.  8 years ago had total hysterectomy (straight into surgical meno) and was then placed on low dose of levothyroxine which helped massively.  Have had routine yearly blood tests with little change.  Last test a month ago must of showed some change as I have been told to have another in 3 months.  Does anyone understand the numbers re the results (see below).  Have felt bit more moody, palpitations and seem to feel cross a lot more!  Not too worried as it is obviously only a small change so maybe just need bit more levothyroxine (or less)?

2016 -serum TSH 3.56  serum free T4 18
2017    "              3.14      "                18
2018     "             4.26      "                19         Thanks for any help

Maxwin

Re: Thyroid Blood Test Results
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »

Thanks Stellajane, as you say will see what next test shows, it might of just been a blip.  Most thyroid symptoms mirror meno ones so always bit unsure if I need more HRT (which I am hopefully very slowly weaning myself off) or thyroid meds. 

SueLW

Re: Thyroid Blood Test Results
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:53:49 AM »

Your TSH is too high for someone on Throxine, most people (not all) feel best with a TSH of 1 or below once they are taking the hormone.  The aim of thyroxine dosing is to remove symptoms and return the patient to good health.

Without the reference ranges I can't comment on the T4 results and sadly, as usual, there are no Free T3 results. You need more levothyroxine.  Your dose should be increased by 25mcg and retested after 6-7 weeks on the new dose to see what is happening.  And potentially increasing by another 25mcg and retesting 6-7 weeks later.  The process is repeated until your Free T3 and Free T4 are in the upper half, or even top quarter of the reference ranges.

It sounds like you don't know much about your condition.  It would be a very good idea to do a bit of research and reading to improve your understanding of your condition and they way your average GP treats it to the way it should be treated.