Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Thyroid Meds Problem.  (Read 1483 times)

Kathleen

Thyroid Meds Problem.
« on: July 07, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »

Hello ladies.

I thought this subject might be of interest to some of you.

Our local news has reported the case of a woman who was settled on her medication for an under active thyroid but her GP informed her that the cost of the drug had been increased and they would no longer prescribe it. She tried an alternative but this didn't control her symptoms so she asked if she could return to the original drug but this request was refused. In desperation she is now buying the medicine privately and having it posted to her from Germany. When the journalist asked the GP for a comment he was told that the drug would only be given to patients whose Consultant had specifically prescribed it so the cost would be met from the hospital's budget. I find this very worrying ladies. I know were refer to our health service as a national provision but in reality it is a lot of smaller commissioning groups all trying to reduce their costs, probably due to the cuts and chronic underfunding. It is also likely that when we leave the EU an export tax may be added which would again increase the price. Let's hope this poor woman can continue to  afford it, not to mention any future patients who find the substitute drug is inadequate but are told by their doctor that they won't be offered the better alternative.

Such is the state of our NHS atm, I fear for our future. As a follow up the reporter asked the drug company why they had greatly increased the price of this medication but the company declined to comment.

I hope this is helpful to you ladies and I wanted to share because although it was a local news story it may also occur in other parts of the country.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Conolly

Re: Thyroid Meds Problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you. Is this about Liothyronine (T3)? I've read something about this last year.
It's about time to get some patents broken for the sake of patients. If patients die who's going to buy their products?
Apparently T3 use is not endorsed by the NHS due to ‘lack of evidence ‘ despite many patients declaring the opposite.

Conolly X
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:17:02 PM by Conolly »

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

Hello Conolly.

Yes I think that's the drug they were referring to. The  woman was getting the medication from her NHS doctor until the manufacturer inexplicably put the price up by some ridiculous amount, six thousand percent I think they said.   Her GP recognised her situation but the drug company are pulling the strings. A sorry state of affairs.

Wishing you well.

K.

Conolly

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

Thank you Kathleen!

I have been abroad for many years (work) and I've seen this drug being sold online and making huge profits because many people believe it's going to help them lose weight. It's a bloody market fueled by many stupid people who have no idea how these drugs can mess with their bodies and of course a huge disregard for the patients who actually need them.

Conolly X
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:26:39 PM by Conolly »

SueLW

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:36:21 AM »

This is a national scandal in the thyroid world.  Hop over the channel to France or Germany and you can buy this drug for pennies.  Here, the only company that used to make it and sell it to the NHS put the price of a packet of 25 tablets up to £330 (or thereabout).  The NHS, rather than sourcing the drug from abroad, for some stupid reason just told patients they can't have it!  Now there are other producers in the UK, but seeing how they have the NHS over a barrel, they are all charging the same money. 

The whole dreadful state of thyroid treatment and in particularly T3, was discussed in the House of Lords last week and they are looking into it.

There are people who will die without T3.  They are unable to convert the inactive thyroid hormone T4 into T3, which is the active hormone and needed in every cell in our bodies.  For these people it doesn't matter how much Levothyroxine (T4) they take, they will never have enough active T3.  But GP's, hospital trusts and even the vast number of endocrinologists don't understand this.  They will only treat by a blood test called the TSH, which isn't even a thyroid hormone test, it's a pituitary test.  They refuse to treat on symptoms.  It's as if they want thyroid patients to stay sick.  They will inevitably get sicker over time and be great consumers of other health services and medications. 

It's a horrible scandalous way of treating people with a terrible illness.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »

Pharmaceutical companies have everyone over a barrel. I know they need to make money to do research but all too often they convince the medical profession that drugs are essential e.g. statins and anti depressants, and these are widely prescribed (which must make the company a fortune) however there is  very little true evidence of the long term side effects - I'm sure in time they will look back in horror at the overuse of these drugs. So many trials are deeply flawed and patients ignored when they have problems with a drug.
Diagnosis and treatment of both thyroid and the menopause are still poor. I believe if they got the hormone balance right with our bodies, there would be far less need for other drugs.
I suspect there is very little money to be made out of hormone treatments. DG x