Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi Newbie here!  (Read 1693 times)

Kikki21

Hi Newbie here!
« on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »

Hi everyone
I'm new on here & as probably a lot of ladies before pretty desperate to find out how you all cope with this crap called Menopause!
I'm 49 & I last had a bleed 2 years ago. Blood tests prior to that showed I was peri menopausal & then a subsequent blood test my levels had increased so I was heading for my last period.

I used to suffer horrendous monthly migraines so at least I was glad to be getting rid of those but I can still get migraines.
I have joined up because the symptoms are wearing me out. I feel like I have a volcano living inside me all the time! 🤬

Last night was horrendous as I suffer with insomnia anyway so went to sleep after 1am & then woke at 4am feeling awful, headache from nowhere & wanting to throw up but nothing to throw up with! 😔 added to that I was hugely clammy & then shaky. I somehow managed to get back to sleep but woke up again 2 hrs later with the same. No wonder I feel like a zombie today.

I managed to make it to my hair appointment as somehow breakfast, a cuppa & painkillers revived me & I went to the health store afterwards & got some sage drops which apparently help you cope with the flushes & feeling hot all the time thing.

I also got a fab book free of charge from the health store explaining about menopause & read it & I am going to try what they say. I have already found that I need much more protein than before. If I don't have enough then I am simply hungry & start to snack. Oh yes, my other thing is the bloating & weight gain round my middle like a beached whale is living there! 😔
I used to take magnesium supplements as they used to control my cravings for either sweet or salty food or both so I will start taking that again & I have to drink lots of water.

Admittedly I had not been drinking enough but during the hot weather the UK has been having then I have drunk a lot more.

I don't have much faith in doctors so I would rather try natural or complementary health remedies as I am
not sure HRT will suit me having not been able to take normal contraceptive pills & using POP ones back in the day.

Be great to know if anyone has any suggestions & nice to be on here so I can share my experience with others!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi Newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »

Drink Girl Drink  ;)

Eat little and often.  Even through the night.

Alternatives may help initially but any benefit may be lost when hormones begin playing up.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Kikki21

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »

Thank you @CLKD yes that water is so important. I have taken my 3 daily doses of the sage drops & feel less hot & have taken it easy today after my bad night.

I'm not saying I won't ever consider HRT but I want to try the natural remedies first & see how I go.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  In the mean time, read up about the various HRTs available.  Forewarned and all that  ::) and do read the threads on vaginal atrophy !

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:48 PM »

Hi Kikki21

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and by all means try natural remedies - I did this initially but my symptoms got so bad before I actually reached menopause that I ditched these and started HRT and have never looked back 11 years later!

HRT is brilliant! Don't be put off by the fact that you didn't get on with the CCP years back nor the POP. Most hRT is completely different. The oestrogen is estradiol - the same type as our body makes - not the synthetic stronger one that most CCPs contain. Also the POP is progestogen only - and quite a few women are progesterone intolerant and there are heaps of different types to try.

Do have a look at the Treatments tab on the menu and HRT preparations. Don't leave it too long though because the best time to start is around the time of menopause or soon after rather than years later. Some women find that migraines are helped with a low dose HRT and especially if it is a gentler type. They mostly give a constant dose of oestrogen so that you don't get the sudden fall in levels like you do when fertile or during peri-menopause.

There are lots of threads about weight gain and change in body shape too - most of us need to eat less, change the proportions of the different food types that we eat (lower fat, fewer sugars and starchy carbs, lots more fruit and veg dairy and fish), and exercise more in order to stay the same weight. This can keep the fat gain at bay and body strengthening exercises can help with the shape - although this is mostly down to hormones - reduced oestrogen casues change in fat deposition from hips to middle so we tend to lose our traditional curvey female shape ( pears) and have to work hard to keep looking reasonable!!

Do have a good read around and come back to use if you have any more specific questions -we are here to help.

In the meantime hope you start to feel better soon -you're right this hot weather is somewhat unusual and difficult!

Hurdity x  :welcomemm:

MummyClanger

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »

Hi Kikki I'm new here myself. I've also experienced bad bloating but not sure if it's HRT related or menopause as it can be symptom of both. Just wanted to say I had to come off combined contraceptive pills in mid twenties due to severe headaches and numbness in my legs. I also had problems with progesterone only *mini) pill very bad acne on my face and back which I'd never had as a teenager. 
I've been on Evorelle patches for over a year and they've made a huge difference to my overall health and well being. I was very worried about HRT affecting me in same way as the pill. I started on very low dose 25mcg patches.
I've had a Mirena coil for 14 years so didn't need progesterone added. Good luck x

Crafty Kaz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 07:56:11 PM »

Hi Kikki
I'm a newbie too & this site is a godsend! Like you I wanted to try natural supplements & therapies too which I did for a few years until my symptoms increased & felt hrt was the only option. After only a very short time I felt so much better (alive again!) It's been a bit tricky getting the progesterone side of it sorted out but I've now settled on evorel patches and utrogestan 12 days per month. I am determined to make it work for me as I now feel I am giving my body the best hrt there is available & as I have felt the benefits of estrogen at my stage of life (just turned 50) I would be very reluctant to give it up!
I hope you find a solution to get you over this rollercoaster ride & you are feeling better very soon! Keep us informed on how your doing, I'm sure the support you get from this site will help immensely 😀

Much love Kaz x