Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt patches question  (Read 1004 times)

Janeydrew

Hrt patches question
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »

I'm 49 peri menopause having irregular periods the Dr has given me estradot 25 and cerelle pill to take can anyone explain do I still take the pill every day or just some days I know the patch I wear every day and to change every 3rd or 4th day but not sure about the pill . And answers would be very much appreciated

Hurdity

Re: Hrt patches question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »

Hi Janeydrew

Your post seems to have got missed - there are so many that they quickly drop off the page - and it's a busy time of year for everyone in real life (gardens, holidays and all that!).

It's difficult to answer your question because that combo is not a licensed one for HRT, and there isn't an HRT type that contains that progestogen to compare doses - but I see it is the same as Cerazette mini pill. I presume you have been given this for contraception - or have you been taking something else before being prescribed this? If for contraception then you will need to take every day. I'm not really sure how this will work. Cerazette as mini pill on its own depresses oestrogen levels so Cerelle will do the same but I'm not sure how it will work with an Estradot patch. 

Your doctor (GP?) should have told you how often to take the Cerelle but I am sure it would be every day - please do check with him/her as it is an unusual combo - and let us know the outcome!

Hurdity x

Janeydrew

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »

Hi thank you so much for the reply yes I agree with you as not sure about the combo . No I'm not taking it as a contraception so this is how I plan to do it put the patch on today Tuesday and remove Friday take a cerelle pill today and another one on Friday just to try and equal it out I feel taking any of the hrt pill form will give me sciatica I know some disagree but I'm convinced once i take her I get the pain stop taking the hrt pill form and the pain goes so the patch hopefully will be fine will know more in a couple of days

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »

Sorry - quick reply as I'm off out shortly - I'm sorry I don't think I was clear enough. You keep the patch on all the time - changing it every 3rd or 4th day ie twice a week. If you're not using the Cerelle for contracption but to protect your uterus and you are peri-menopausal then you will either take it every day ( for contraception - but I'm not sure if it works for contraception if you also add an estradot patch), or you will take it for 10-12 days per month to give you a bleed. Because the patch is very low dose then the mini pill may be sufficient to protect your uterus but I really would check back with your doctor and ask to be monitored ( womb thickenss) through a scan as this is a non-standard regime.

I have read you can take mini-pilll with HRT but I haven't see whether this means a combi HRT type that itself includes oestrogen and a progestogen. If you don't need oi for contracpetion then it may be OK?

In haste
Hurdity x