Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to HRT  (Read 2252 times)

Jeepers

New to HRT
« on: July 01, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »

Hi

I started HRT last week, I am on two pumps of estradiol, and oral Utrogestan 100.  I have a few questions, which I was wondering if anyone could help me with please:

I have had slight constipation since starting the regime,is this normal?  If so, will it go away once my body becomes used to it?

I was told to take the Utrogestan before bed, and the estradiol in the morning, but the leaflet in the progesterone said you should take both at the same time, so should I switch?

I was told taking HRT transdermally was better than oral. is this just the Estrogen?  If not, why would I be prescribed an oral one?

I will email the clinic tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone here could help out too, as there is so much knowledge and experience :-)

Many thanks

Jeepers xx

Dotty

Re: New to HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »

Yes take the Utrogestan at night on an empty stomach as it can have a sedative effect. Use Oestrogel in a morning.

Oestrogen is transdermal but the Utrogestan is body identical but in capsule form.

Not sure about constipation.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »

Just to add also that you can't get transdermal progesterone that is licensed for HRT - there are privately obtained creams but they are not standardised and not recommended for protection of the uterus that you need when you take oestrogen. It is the oestrogen that is better to take transdermally. Also you can take the progesterone (Utrogestan) sort-of transdermally - up the vagina (off-lcience)- but you probably wouldn't want to do this if you were taking it every day.

Hurdity x

Jeepers

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »

Hi

thank you so much for your replies.  I am taking 25 of 28 days, so its almost all of the time.  I'll take it at night then, as sleep is a precious commodity.

:)

Jeepers

Re: New to HRT - one week in -- side effects?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

Hi

I am now one week in on the HRT.  I woke up this morning feeling really nauseous, and I have really bad stomach cramps, which come in waves.  Has anyone else had these side effects?  I'm not sure I can stay on them if it is, as I feel so ill, I have not gone into work, which is not like me, I usually try to push on through.

If however, its transient, and it will settle down, I could persevere, so was interested if anyone else has had this? Of course, it could be nothing to do with the HRT, and just a coincidence.

Thank you all ladies, its so good to know this site and all of you are out there

Jeepers xx

Jeepers

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »

Anyone?

I'm really scared to take my HRT tonight, in case it makes it worse, or I don't feel better.

I've already had work contactinr to see if I am in tomorrow. I can't let them down.

Jeepers xx

Donna-paul

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »

I had the same symptoms on Utrogestan awful nausea stomach cramps and diaherra had to stop and taking some norethisterone I had before till I see my dr. It's a nightmare finding a progestrone that doesn't give side effects!!

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »

Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear you have been suffering too. This is the worst I've felt in years.

I'm not sure whether to just stop (I've only done 8 days!). I can't afford to feel like this.

I've emailed the meno clinic, bit they said it may take up to a week to get a reply.

Thank you again

Jeepers xx

Donna-paul

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »

I can't advise you what to do as I don't have that much experience in this hrt. I just took it for a week and couldn't continue as worst side effects for me especially when it's supposed to be the most natural. Hopefully someone else more experienced will come along with advice. I be interested to hear. I've been trying to take hrt since last sept but the side effects have stopped me. If only we only had to take oestrogen it must be easier to tolerate.

Mandyjw

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »

Hi Jeepers

I don't know enough to help but I can tell you I'm on the same as you but I'm on 1 pump daily which I put on inner thighs in the evening after my shower, I started HRT last month.
I have just started on the utrogestan 100mg per night
on July 1st so this is my 3rd night (insert before bed) I'm using it vaginally for 12 days and so far nothing untoward side effects wise! I do realise that you are on the longer regime.
I do believe there are less side effects when administered this way.
Hopefully someone will be along soon to reassure you
Regards Mandy x
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:52:34 PM by Mandyjw »

Jeepers

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »

Hi thanks for your replies,.

The doctor from the meno clinic rang this evening.she suggested just skipping the utrogeston this evening. She quite rightly pointed out that it could be unrelated, and if I can, it would be worth persevering for a while, as often symptoms settle

So, I am going to skip tonight, and try again tomorrow evening.

Maybe get something for the constipation.

Donna, I'm not sure about the vaginal option as I am on it 25 out of 28.

Jeepers xx