Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena fitting in tricky cases  (Read 1618 times)

AndieKC

Mirena fitting in tricky cases
« on: July 01, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »

Hello everyone
Has anyone had the experience of having a Mirena Coil fitted when it's a little tricky?

Compared to endometrial biopsy which I had recently, is it more or less painful?

Can I trust the doctors to have it fitted at the GP surgery?

I am aware that it's nit usually fitted to women who have never been pregnant but Dr Currie confirmed its the best treatment for simple hyperplasia which I have (without atypia) so I want to have it fitted as soon as possible.

I have never been pregnant, am quite small generally so can't imagine uterus would be spacious ... also had the laser op on my cervix about 18 years ago so it is a bit ‘glued' together and I have been noticing over the years that even smear tests have been getting quite painful.

Thank you xx

Venetia

Re: Mirena fitting in tricky cases
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »

Hello Andie, a GP tried to persuade me to have a Mirena fitted (I declined), but she did suggest that, because I have a fibroid, I have it fitted at the sexual health clinic of the local hospital since they would have wider experience and expertise than a GP

AndieKC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »

Thank you Venetia
That's very helpful
I didn't think of the GUM clinic
Xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »

Can you ask if it could be fitted under GA?

AndieKC

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell
No GA, but I understand taking a painkiller beforehand is something women do if they want.
I've had the endometrial biopsy, no anaesthetic, not even local, but I took 1 pill of ibuprofen max

AndieKC xx

Macjac

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »

Hi

I didn't have one fitted in the end but got close. I was in a similar situation to you in that I am very small, haven't had a natural delivery and have had laser treatment on my cervix.

My GP said she would give it a go but if it was too tricky it could be done as an out patient with a local anaesthetic.  I changed my mind but seems a local could be an option

Good luck

Macjac

aliwade71

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »

I had one fitted (to stop my very painful periods) back in 2000 - under GA, as they were doing a D&C at the same time.  It stayed in place for over 4 years, but then had it removed as it had moved slightly giving a bit of discomfort (and at the time we were hoping to try for a baby).  My GP could not shift it, so I went to the hospital and a very experienced doctor recognised the fact that I am at a 'funny angle' inside, so she only had one chance to get it out (she did not tell me this!!).  Whilst a nurse distracted me by talking about holidays, the doctor did one very hard pull at the right angle and out it came.  Lets just say I nearly hit the ceiling!  She said that that otherwise I would have had to go under GA again.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »

I think the FPC is best, as experience is important.

Here, the FPC will not fit them for women over 50, so you would need to be referred to a gynae in that case.  The local private hospital does it for a fee, but I expect they would prefer to do it to under 50s for contraception only too.

I always wonder how you get them removed - if I had gone ahead, a practice GP would have done it, then she retired, and the practice dumped me for being out of catchment, so it would have left me with a problem................ I have heard of people who remove them themselves. ???