Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Femoston conti time to give up?  (Read 1183 times)

pricey

Femoston conti time to give up?
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »

Hi ladies,

My GP switched me from Elleste Duet 1mg to Femoston conti about 7 months ago.  I had done well on Elleste but was having migraines and other headaches in the days running up to my withdrawal bleed. At 53, and having been on hrt for over 2 years,  the doctor wanted to see if she could eliminate my cycle and the headaches. The first 12 weeks I bled off and on, sometimes heavily, then the bleeding settled and I had three five week cycles and a lighter period each time. I thought things were looking up. Still headaches but with a little longer between periods, these were more manageable.  My last bleed just over two weeks ago came at 28 days and was heavier.  Then last week I had the worst migraine I have had in two or three years.  Lo and behold, 24 hours later I started bleeding again ( just a week after my last period ended) and I am still bleeding quite heavily four days later. This is as erratic as I was pre hrt.  I work shifts and life has been more manageable but this is going to make work hard if it continues. I have considered coming off hrt but with a promotion possible this seems a risk.  I suffered hot flushes and palpitations prior to going on hrt along with occasional panic attack symptoms. The option the doctor gave me in the first few weeks if the bleeding didn't settle, was to change to Femoston Sequi.  At least then my cycle would be predictable.  However the length of time it took for the bleeding to settle on the conti makes me wary of trying another Femoston. Would the transition likely be easier? Or should I try something completely different?  Or no hrt at all?  I am feeling so despondent now after all this time.

Thanks for listening!  X

Dancinggirl

Re: Femoston conti time to give up?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »

The conti version of any HRT can cause the erratic bleeding for the first few months but I suspect you are probably not truly post meno so conti HRT isn't right for you.  Femoston is a good HRT type so it might be worth trying the Sequi version ( Femosoton has the gentler progesterone) but if you don't want a bleed then having a Mirena fitted could be the answer for you. A few weeks after fitting, most women don't get any bleeding, far less progesterone is absorbed systemically and therefore less likely to give headaches and other side effects.  If you then had oestrogen as gel of patch alongside this would also reduce the chance of migraines as transdermal HRT is deemed preferable for migraine sufferers.
I'm afraid many of us experience more headaches once menopause hits - with or without HRT - so it may be a matter of good pain relief when needed.

Here is the info on the Mirena:
Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.

DG x