Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi from Pembrokeshire  (Read 1905 times)

aliwade71

Hi from Pembrokeshire
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:51:23 PM »

Hi, everyone.  My name is Ali, I am 47 and live in Pembrokeshire with my hubby (who is a dairy farmer).  He has 2 grown up children from his first marriage - and we have 3 grandchildren, with the 4th due in August.  I never had children sadly (long and complicated reasons!).

My periods went from being extremely regular - 24 day cycle - to gradually getting longer and longer between them, and then perhaps a couple of periods that were 'normal', and since last year I have hardly had any period at all (any has been very light and only a couple of days).  I found out from Google that this meant I was in Perimenopause.

I have Fibromyalgia, Hyper Mobility Syndrome and Psoriasis, and one of my chronic symptoms is itchy skin.  However, when my vaginal area started to itch regularly a few months ago (plus soreness/cracks/painful sex), I did go and see a nurse practitioner.  She sent me for tests, no infection or other problem was found, so yesterday my doctor suggested that I try out oestrogen cream. 

When I read the very comprehensive leaflet with it (is it just me that actually reads those?!), I was surprised to see that it is considered to be HRT.  My doctor did not mention that.    I was a bit worried about using it, but I realise that I need to do something - and it seems that this cream is a mild, but effective, way of hopefully reducing the vaginal issues.

Being a woman is certainly never boring.

Ali x

Annie0710

Re: Hi from Pembrokeshire
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »

Hi and welcome

Don't worry about the cream.  It's such a mild dose that if you used it daily for a year it would equal one days dose of systemic hrt.  That shows how low it is but is fantastic for treating vaginal issues caused by low oestrogen.  See how you get on with it but I'm sure you'll soon see the benefits x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »

Hi Ali.
           :welcomemm:

Hope you find this site amazing like everyone else does,
(Me for one, ) and you find out all the answers to your questions...

Good luck with the oestrogen  cream.

Jd xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »

Hi and welcome to mm aliwade71

The leaflets with any local oestrogen treatment needs to be changed - these leaflets are the same as systemic HRT which is not appropriate but the drug companies are covering themselves. The dose is very small with local oestrogen so there are no real risk factors. Many of us ladies will be using local oestrogen for the rest of our lives. Even systemic HRT is very safe - the scares have been very overblown.
If you read the leaflet for paracetamol you would be wary of taking them. GPs dish out  antidepressants so readily and they have some nasty side effects and are difficult to come off.
If your oestrogen levels are dropping at such an early stage, then your GP should be discussing systemic HRT as an option for you to protect your heart and bones for the long term.
Vagifem pessaries might be better to help with your intimate area though some find the cream ok but I would strongly recommend you use some vaginal moisturisers alongside the local oestrogen to really get things more comfortable. SYLK or the YES moisturisers are the best and can get samples to try from the companies that make them. To help with sex I'd try extra lubrication like Durex ‘Perfect Glide' - I buy this online. DG x

aliwade71

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »

Thanks all.  I am finding out a lot from this forum and other Google searches.  Seems that I need to go back and see my GP once I have given the cream some time, and ask him about 'Systemic HRT'.  Tried the cream for the first time last night - and all ok, except for cramps starting.  They are only mild, but definitely feel like something is happening.  BTW, my vaginal itching has stopped!  Ali x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »

.......   do read our threads about vaginal atrophy.   As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry - inside and out - including the vagina: skin, deep in the ears, eyes.   I had itching across my back and my insteps were troublesome as soon as I took of my socks at night.

Also, lack of oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains.

Local HRT for the VA is important.  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

aliwade71

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »

.......   do read our threads about vaginal atrophy.   As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry - inside and out - including the vagina: skin, deep in the ears, eyes.   I had itching across my back and my insteps were troublesome as soon as I took of my socks at night.

Also, lack of oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains.

Local HRT for the VA is important.  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

I have had itchy ears as well.  I assumed it was my Psoriasis, but doctor couldn't see anything.  It looks like Perimenopause may be causing a lot of my problems.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:29:09 PM »

A little drop of warm olive oil into the ears might help ;-)