Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Constant bleeding  (Read 1655 times)

booboo000

Constant bleeding
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »

Hi. I am 43 have been on estrogen and progestrogen for last 12 months due to early menopause.

I am really reactive to progesterone so have been advised to have period every 3 months..

last controlled period when I took progesterone was march but I have had constant bleeding since mid April and feeling pretty crappy.

Have had lots of bloods done and all looks ok. Consultant suggested merina coil.

Anyone had similar situation?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:21:57 PM by booboo000 »

Hurdity

Re: Constant bleeding
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »

Hi booboo000

Your post seems to have got missed - must be the very hot weather we've been having!

Have you hads a scan of your uterus to check the cause of bleeding? The 3 month regime is not so often recommended by gynaes here, because it can lead to a build up in womb lining and consequently a much heavier bleed - and the more so the higher the oestrogen dose you are taking. What oestrogen type and dose are you on?

Had you been established as post-menopausal when you started the HRT ie without natural bleeds for at least 12 months? If your cycle has come back into play it might be this has caused havoc but it could just be your womb lining building up over the 3 months.

Once you have had a scan and perhaps given a dose/course of progesterone to thin it, if it is thickened then either move to a shorter cycle or as your consultant suggests, try a Mirena coil. Many on here have been/are very happy with this treatement and enables you to take oestrogen at whatever dose you need. It should eventually stop the bleeding, once you have established there is no other reason for it.

Hurdity x

booboo000

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »

Hi,

An update from June and some advice please. I am Peri menopause age 43.

I stopped all Estrogen in July as due to constant heavy bleeding and clotting after being advised to take estrogen and progesterone only every 3 months due to severe symptoms from progesterone every time taken.

End of September I had a hysteroscopy and everything looked ok no polyps and biopsy taken which is fine and merina coil fitted.

Horrendous side effects after just a couple of days of merina.  Mood swings, anxiety to point where I'm climbing the walls. After 3 weeks the mirena came out on its own which was a relief. I'm not sure if wasn't put in properly or my body rejected it.

Seen consultant today who said he has not met anyone that can't tolerate progesterone like me and doesn't know quite what to do!?

He has prescribed me Livial 1 a day to try.

I have looked on line and saying not to be used in Peri menopause?

Can anyone give me any advice or been in my position. I just don't know if I am coming or going x

booboo000

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:40 PM »

I am not sure if anyone can see my posts?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »

Hi boo boo
I had a premature meno so I have tried so many hrts.
The 3 monthly regime was not good idea in peri meno - I'm not surprised you had heavy bleeding. What acshame the Mirena didn't work out well as this would have been a good option. 
The Livial is also not really suitable in peri meno so you may get bleeding with this as well but give it a go and see how you get on. If you do get bleeding then you can just stop it.
You should be on a normal sequential hrt that gives a monthly need and you need to try different progesterone types to see if you can find one that suits you.
Utrogestan used vaginally may be a good option for you and you might get away with just 100mg per day for 12 days each month if used vaginally and this could give fewer side effects. 
Also - have you tried taking a break from hrt to see what happens - your ovaries may be having a few final gasps and this would result in extra bleeding.
DG x

booboo000

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:39:43 AM »

Hi thanks for replying. I haven't been on any HRT since July apart from the the mirena for a couple of weeks. I was taking Utrogestan vaginally before and still having such bad side effects that I just couldn't cope.

I have now been offered either the Luvial or Northisterone as alternatives. Or do I give the Utrogestan another go now my bleeding slowed down.

Anyone taken Luvial or Northisterine who is Progestetone intolerant? I would love to hear of your experiences? If I have to take HRT but just cannot tolerate the progesterone what are the options? I'm just stuck and have no idea what to do and am scared to start taking anything again due to previous side effects.

Any advices I would be very grateful xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »

booboo - if you are peri meno then you will be still producing some oestrogen yourself.  You could stay off HRT for a time and wait till you own periods have stopped and then try HRt again - there may be less likely hood of bleeding in post meno.

Have you tried a very low dose of oestrogen (one pump of oestrogel or 25mcg patch) with just 10 days of a strong progesterone each month? I had this through my 40s and it worked fine. Being intolerant to progesterone is awful but I'm afraid you may have to experiment further. Do make sure you have enough calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D and do some weigh baring exercise like brisk walking everyday to protect you bones.  DG x